Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mcfly998

Anyone removed internals from their handle bars?

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guy's

I'm well into the rebuild of the X12 after painting the engine and having the frame and swingarm powder coated (Satin black, it looks great).

I've noticed the bars have a couple of scrapes and would prefer to powder coat them, instead of paint, if possible. I'll need to remove the internals from the bars first, I've done this before with my R1 which just had a small bung which I drew out using a long M6 bolt and a piece of tube the same size as the bar. Looking at the X11 microfiche there seems to be a bit more inside these bars. See attached pic. parts 10, 11, 12 and 13 will all need to come out.

Let me know if you've done this and they all came out ok, or if they're stuck fast, let me know and I'll paint 'em instead.

Cheers

Martyn

post-544-126099676035_thumb.jpg

Cow of a job to get them back in again without breaking them. I'd plug the ends but leave the internals in situ.

Hi Martyn , these do come out but they are tight first of all you need to remove item 13 , this is a steel collar in the end of the bars then Idealy you need a slide hammer to get the rest out as items 11 & 12 are rubber bushings attached to item 10 and are a tight fitt , a spray of WD40 up there while moving it around will help.

John

Edited by x11r

Thanks to both John and Eddy for the quick responses, you guy's really are mines of information.

I'm going to have another look at them today, I don't have a slide hammer but if I can find a long enough tube, of the right diameter, and some M6 threaded bar I think I'll have a go. I'm powder coating the calipers and I'd like to get the bars done at the same time if at all poss. A little worried about Eddy's comment about getting them back in though.

Thanks again guy's.

Martyn

Aye, I just wrecked mine getting them out, so unless that was just me being ham-fisted? I'd leave the buggers in situ.

I ended up putting some aftermarket ones in there on mine.

Wrecked mine getting them out,bugger of a job if you don't want to damage them.

Popped 'em out no problem, noticed there was also a tiny grub screw holding them inside the bar as well as the clips. Then drew them out using a long M6 bolt, big washer and a piece of pipe with an I.D. of 20mm.

Hopefully Triple S haven't closed for christmas yet, I'll see if I can drop the calipers and bars round tomorrow.

Oh result then! :)

Well done... bugger of a job.