Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Ihaveonetoo

Shocking

25 posts in this topic

OK so I have a BMW GSA as well as the X11 and one thing that is :worship: on the GS side over the X11 is the suspension.

A and good B roads is fine but get on the narrower stuff that is usually a little un-kept and the difference shows mainly in the harshness through the bars and the slower speeds you have to take the corners as a result (perhaps I'm suffering from wheel chatter.... only joking).

Is it worth looking for better suspension and has anyone got experience in which way to go please :question:

BTW I have the rear preload set to 1 off max..

Have you tried reducing this - I weigh around 85KG and find the most comfortable setting for me (no pillion, no luggage) is on 2, i.e. from the bottom or lowest setting.

I find any higher and I am bouncing around too much on rough surfaces.

I do crank it up on the odd track day - but have suffered on the way home if I forget to crank it back down!

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

That could be the answer as I usually have it set up for a pillion, I'll give it a go,

Thanks,

Brian

85Kg same as me..does this make us the lighter end of the X11 community I wonder :angel:

it isnt you that is eating all the pies then, i weigh about 14 and a half stone & about 5 foot eleven, my shock is usually set in the middle position, can't say i have a problem with the ride quality.

I think we are at the lighter end - one or two of the other members have acquired some extra ballast over the years!

I find a couple of notches either way on the shock makes a big difference to me.

Happy riding.

Paul.

OK went to setting 2 and has improved things, :smileybiker:

12 stone, 5ft 8, rear shock on position 3. With 7 1/2 stone pillion, I crank it up to position 4. No complaints on ride quality at all. If you had the shcok set on the higher settings to sharpen tip-in, perhaps you could look putting a 5mm spacer on the rear shock? This allows you to keep the shock on a comfortable setting whilst raising the rear.

I fitted a Hagon shock to mines and it handles much better!

Whats the build quality of the Hagon shock like ?.

No complaints it looks good and works well only thing is because of the red spring it looks completely standard

my shox set one off the top,is this why it bounces like a pogo stick on bumpy or uneven surfaces? i weigh 15stone if that helps.also how do u adjust the thing?? got the tool in the bag under seat but it feels like its seized up.dus bike have to be centre or side stand??

Best if the bike is on its center stand as its best to unload the shock as much as posible (rear wheel of the ground) but it may pay to give it a spray with WD40 or something first.

May sound daft this but whats the easiest way to adjust the preload? does the bike have to be on side or centre stand? only asking cos mines a pain to adjust.feels like the things seized up.cant seem to turn it.bin using the spanner in the original tool kit and it fits ok. its set one notch from the top and the bike feels very bouncy and stiff on bumpy roads. if it matters, i`m 15stone so dunno if its set right for my weight :dontknow:.dus feel a bit harsh tho. will it be a case of taking the thing off and gettin it in a vice to adjust?

Any help will be very appreciated.thanx.

Put it on the centre stand to do it so the weight is off the spring... maybe squirt a bit of wd40 onto the adjuster at the top of the shock the day before. Turn it to the right to make it firmer left to make it softer... I suggest position three as a happy medium, in fact I leave mine on that all the time regardless of load.

I'm sure I answerd this one a couple of days ago hmmmm

Oh aye. so you did... some people eh?

Thanx for the info guys but i`m still having a hell of a time trying too adjust this bloody shock preload :BangHead:

Think i`ll whip it off at weekend and get it in a soddin great vice!!! well seized up. ah well,beats sittin in watchin shite on tv.

ta for all info. :icon_smile:

Sounds like it needs a good soak in something then although remember the spring will hold it tight so parhaps a bit more brute force needed !.

Yeah, not using the x this weekend so its off with the shock then i`ll get it in the vice and loosen it up.

to be honest i don`t think its been adjusted in a few years. last owner wasn`t what you call meticulous with her!!. may also get the old spring compressors on it and take the slack out.

Thanx again for all posts. :thumbsup:

Wahey,got it adjusted at last.took it out,stuck it in a vice and used a sh*t load o dubbayoodee40.

It turned....eventually!!! ;D

Glad you got it sorted , If it was like that I would check through the chasis fastners maybe giving them a clean and a bit of copper grease.

Yeah,thanx,its gonna get a rear end strip down in a few weeks.al take the swingarm off and give the bearings a good clean an re grease.thinking of gettin the swingarm powder coated black to match rest of bike so it`l have to come off anyway. on close inspection tho,the chassis is pretty mint so i dont expect any probs.

ta for ur posts. :thumbsup:

Cant believe it...Ever since I had mine delivered its been raining!! I'll have my first ride at some point I'm sure. I've noticed mine is set as std on 3, but as it's me thats been eating all the pies (124kg) I might have to wind it up one or so.

Give it a try at standard for a good few miles, I have mine set at 4 and its ok 2 up. By the way I would like to contest your statement of being the one who ate all the pies ;D