Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Tashman

Flat spot

4 posts in this topic

On a recent trip to France, my X developed what feels like a flat spot. It seems to be associated with the throttle position. If I open the throttle gradually and slowly, it seems to go flat (subtle) at 2.8k revs or so / quarter throttle sort of area. In 5th I noticed it around 5.8k revs. If I grab a hand full or open it past this area, it accelerates as normal only noticeable when 'feathering' the throttle at a quarter opening or so. Doesnt feel like a miss. I havent a clue. Should I investigate it as if it were a miss ie plugs etc? Are there any hoses to ensure arent blocked etc?

Cheers

Mark

Could be that the throttle bodies need balancing up, or change the plugs. It's amazing the difference that new spark plugs make.;)

Thanks. New iridium plugs fitted before trip with a k+n. Will try going back to the old ones and see if it feels the same. Been out today and its much harder to 'feel' the problem as riding conditions so different, but sure its still there. Will get bodies balanced out at the local shop if the plug change doesnt work out.

Cheers

On X11 starter valves (actually idle air bypass valves) have to be synchronised after each 12000 km (max tolerance readings within 2cm Hg)

Can be done in 20 minutes.