Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SPOOKY

Hunting

10 posts in this topic

Hi all does the x have a hunting problem at around 2k revs and on tickover like it revs up and down slightly. My x is totaly standard but havent been used for a while. If not what needs to be done.cheers SPOOKY.

There is a kind of surging/hunting feeling between 2000 to 3000 revs some members on here have mentioned it in other posts. Maybe your injectors could do with being balanced which should smooth out the tickover and also help with the surging.

Might just give it a good run first and a few tanks of fresh gas see how it goes then. When it stops (RAINING).:eek:

stick some redex in if it has been stood for a while, it is not a sure fix for anything but it will clean out your fuel system, won't do any lasting damage either. I use it regularly, also as Chris said, the starter valve synchronisation is worth doing to satisfy your curiosity. The manual offers a proceedure for this job, there are various posts relating to it, the most recent one i can think of was Raemans vibration saga. I balanced Marks throttle bodies for him and although it wasn't the root of the vibration it does smooth things out considerably. If one of the valves is opening out of synch it will cause a differential pressure in the air recirc system, causing some vibes, it will also affect the idle and cause it to run unevenly. Even with the valves balanced the idle is always a bit lumpy, but it should tick over at between 900-1100 rpm. setting the idle speed to high can make 1st gear clunky to engage, mine idles at 950 rpm quite happily.

Mine idles from 9 to 11 up and down and it hunts a bit in traffic 1st and 2nd gear slow moving got to clutch it somtimes wanted to know if this was the norm.

shouldn't really need to slip the clutch too much in slow traffic, the idle should be stable and not fluctuate,it should pull cleanly from 30mph in 4th or 5th gear (try a top gear roll on from 30mph), if it is fluffy i would get your throttle bodies balanced. Other possibility is you have a sticky injector.

You could check the sparkplugs aswell as they may need changing as with the air filter. My x11 ran a bit lumpy when i bought it but it had only done 7.5k so i thought it could'nt possibly be a sparkplug problem. As i wanted to service it anyway, i replaced the air filter (standard honda) and changed the plugs,oil,oil filter ect. When i ran it again it was fine and has been perfect since. May be worth checking the plugs/coils or any other lekki connections.:)

Bike has gone back to the shop so they can sort it.

Had the bike back today they put new plugs in and said theres stale petrol in the tank so new plugs and fresh petrol and she is running like a top :banana: much smoother god knows when it was riden last. But it will get used now.:D