Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Ihaveonetoo

Rear subframe

24 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Came back this morning from a rather wet Sunday ride and got to within 1 mile of home, over a bump in the road and "what's that noise, sounds like plastic braking under the strain" yes the rear subframe snapped! :o (the break is at the point where the square bar is extended to pick up the handrails)

Does anyone have any ideas for the repair or should I look for a new subframe?

Thanks,

Brian

I think this is what happened to Eddy's subframe when some **** on a ferry strapped it down to tight. He got it rewelded and strengthened.

I've not suffered this but might take the opportunity to strengthen it before it gives way. Any chance of a pic of the break.... so I can see where it need beefing up?

There's been a few of these incidents... so keep an eye on the welds!

Worse if you have a topbox on a rear renntec style carrier or use the pillion grab handle to pull it onto the main stand!!!

I got my blacksmith to completely fill the cavity with weld.... strongest bit on the bike now!

Cheers for the picture Eddy. Will check mine before the summer blast to europe with the better half on the back.

Same point on mine both sides, glad it went when I was at home. Planning to go to Kendal for Easter on the X11 hope I get it fixed in time :(

did I say it's a :x11yell: one?

Oooh its a yellow one, that rare bird, crackin lookin bike in Yellow.

Guys should we all be getting this done? I don't take pillion much and never a topbox?

Have a good look at it. If there's any sign of failure get the mig out!

I've heard of several instances of this without topboxes, racks etc. I think this problem can be caused by pulling it up onto the mainstand with the pillion grab handle.

However, if Honda hadn't made such a hash of the design and welding in the first place....

I was thinking the same myself - the welding in this area is terrible - like an afterthought - and not a very good one at that.

Possibly a better idea would be to weld a bracing piece in this area that would tie everything together properly.

Pete

Yeah it is shite for sure... the only bit which is welded are the little side plates on the stubs! You could see on mine that it had two rusty lines where they hadn't bothered painting it!

You could fit a piece of solid bar inside the box section and graft the two stubs back on, that'd do the trick. Myself (workshopless at the time), got my blacksmith to do it and he completely filled the whole area with weld, painted it and charged me a tenner! He even had the grace to look guilty for asking for that much... top bloke!

Think I'll have a look

Thanks to Wayne, top bloke, has offered to do the repair for me ;D

Now how do you fix the plastic. Mine has broken at the four mounting lugs, need advice please, was looking at DIY plastic repair kit

http://www.plastexexpress.co.uk/

Welded my lugs back on with soldering iron.(small tip fitted)

Wayne.

Hi Wayne,

When using the soldering iron method did you use a plastic filler rod or just run the iron down the joint? If you did use more plastic what did you use?

Thanks,

Brian

OK just to complete the episode...I used the soldering iron to fix the bits into position and the plastic repair kit to bond it all together,

Oh one thing to note the fumes from the kit are a bit :blowup:

Just when you thought you were safe from this kind of nonsense if you didn't buy a Suzuki... Honda have a thing for the rear subframe of the 11. They have zero stock for the Japan model rear-subframe - which incidentally was shyte - and the Euro subframe is also a lump of poo. There is an easy fix, but you don't really expect this stuff outside of Kawazuki.

I fitted a renttec sport rack on the bike 6 weeks back and put a top box onto it ,only ever put lid and glove in when parked, this weekend find movement in rack and when I checked it the sub frame was cracked just in front of the grab handle.I took it off completely and put two steel bars into the box section before welding it all back up.So if you have fitted a sport rack using the grab rail anchor points it may be worth checking everything is ok.Bry

Ah well done young padiwan, the X's weakness you have found, strong the force is within you now !

Thank you master, may the force be with you and to bugger it all fleabay has just listed a givi type arm rack and kappa plate brand new for £70.bargain

I got some 18 x16 steel bar and offer it up ,into the end of the box section after taking end cap off the bracket tack the bracket on then took off to weld then slid the bars back into box befofre welding together .will try and down load pics.

Eddy any chance we can have a quick ref. box on the forum for looking problems up .Bry

Use the SEARCH box, up there, top right.

Thanks Eddy for point that out to a complete computor idiot they tell me I get the hang of these things but they are wrong :help: