Guest MadKev

New Owner, help needed please

12 posts in this topic

Hi Troops,

Just got hold of a red x11, judging by the forum search they're obviously slower than blue ones.

No owners manual, no tools, nowt. Off on a 1,000 mile trip tomozzer noon, peering at data on swing arm for pressures and slack, etc. 'F1' can eff-one for now, means nothing.

Halfords weren't pleased at having me as their last customer tonight (20:03 hrs) for a socket to fit the rear axle lock-nut. On so tight I had to lift it's arse and stamp on a three-foot tommy bar to free it. Still, it didn't need oxy-acetylene so that's a bonus I guess.

Neighbours weren't pleased at me sawing and grinding the tommmy bar down to 14" to fit under the saddle. My tool kit currently comprises:

14" 0.5" sq drive tommy bar

27mm socket

tin of 3 in 1 oil

Mum's old Valium pills.

Bayonet (Phillips or straight screw heads)

Mole wrench.

Factor 25 sun cream.

Coffee granules.

As any fool can see, this will deal with most stressful eventualities, one way or another.

Q's - chain gets measured unladen when on sidestand, how odd. No matter, done that, but how do I measure the oil? Looks like keep away from fullly synthetic until at least 8,000 miles, yes? Am I going to need a right-angle adaptor to pump the tyres? Fuel tank has what appears to be a splash suppressor inside its mouth, any harm in filling above this if travelling straight on? How do I adjust the suspension - can't see any obvious dial-up handle, is this a C-ring jobbie?

I've had it up to 120 or so on the airfield (well, it were always the airfield to us kids until the gub'mint changed it to M27), can't say I am comfy with the riding position. Anyone raised the bars andf itted a bikini screen, did it work out?

Questions, questions I know, but I can give something back - I'm STILL working on converting a MASSIVE lion's roar *.wav file with a bigger horn speaker to give 'beep' on single horn press, ROAR on double-tap. Sure beats "Oi!".

mk

Good call on the coffee,I have a black givi A750 screen for sale if you need one urgently, a donation to the site will cover the cost.

Eddy used to make risers, I have a set fitted, they make loads of difference, if the bike gets written off I'll pass them on, again a donation to the board will suffice.

Hello and welcome etc.

Kev, the rear shock does need a c spanner to adjust it. My x11 is set up quite firm,i have the shock set hard and i'm sure the previous owner fitted different front springs or thicker oil.I prefer it like that though,as with the rear shock spacer the bike turns in better.

Measure the oil??....just check the level on the smaller of the 2 fill ups on the right case.The bottom one is the dipstick.

The bars can be raised with risers (fast eddy may have a set lurking about) or changed completely. Bikini screens may be ok for some owners but i junked mine,did nothing for the wind blast,kept flapping about and looked rather dreadfull.

Incidentally,you can buy the factory toolkit from david silver spares,it's a neat little affair witch fits snugly under the seat.;)

DJS and Raeman, thanks to you both. Just got back, unfortunately didn't get to see your replies before I went. 1,000 trouble-free miles later, I am wiser and now have more time to make considered changes, the first of which will be the toolkit.

Cheers, MK

I'd be interested to see what comes from this - we're off around Ireland in 3 weeks so any tips/info regarding 'kit' to take etc. would be very welcome. I don't want to tempt fate but the '1000 trouble free miles' bit looks good to me, - I can't wait - solid riding everyday - bliss !! (Must remember to leave some time for the Caffreys !!)

Our trip to the German Treffen was 1500 miles all trouble free till I didnt put my sidestand down properly on the way back , unfurtunately the drop was while we were on the side of an autobahn with lorrys going past my head and I couldnt get out from under the bike , so the lads had to pick it off me :doh:.Cheers Lads.

The most anoying thing was the bent clutch lever , A new one is ?12 so next year any long journeys I do will see a set of spare levers under my seat as the few scratches the bike picked up fortunately due to having soft paniers on wernt a problem but the rush hour traffic around the Hamburg Ring Road with a bent clutch lever was soddin horrible.

Oh and Welcome Kev

Edited by x11r

I can agree with that, Did 3200 miles over 15 days including the Treffen without any problems at all, only had to adjust the chain once thanks to scottoiler. never used a drop of oil and allways started first time on the button.

The tools I took was the standard kit plus a couple of sockets and a rachet, some allen keys, spare bulbs and fuses and a emercency puncture plug kit.

After once dropping my x11 and snapping a clutch lever, i have an old one under the seat. Just to get you home like. Cost me nothing from a breakers,think it's off a cbr125.Nice and small,but does the job!!....The clutch lever that is!!:P

Standard tool kit is very good too, esp the plug socket/spanner type thing. It's the only one i use to do the plugs.Allways carry some cable ties too for some reason.:) Glad your trip went drop or glitch free.

Mike, Ireland is a land of improvisation. Fixed the fuel injection on my mates diesel car with microbore plumbing pipe and fittings from a wayside ironmongers, with (illicit? dunno) diesel from the village pub. Years later, he still hasn't changed it.

For bikers, take a credit card, sense of humour and a hipflask, universal currency north or south.

I love reading all this stuff on a Monday morning - although it's beginning to get me think I should get out more !! I'm already updating the list of stuff to go with me - one area I think I'll struggle with is the hip flask; - how am I gonna get 6 pints of caffreys in one o' them ?!

you want a camelbac, you can get them up to 4.5 litres i think, bear in mind that is an extra 4.5 kilos though, but then you can ride and sup at the same time

Bought a camelbak for mountain biking when they were relatively a new product...good thing,was allways tempted to fill it with lager,ride 5 miles and spent all sunny afternoon in a p1ssed,summer haze....ah the days before wife and kiddie were most memorable......:rolleyes: