Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest casper

engine whine

13 posts in this topic

have been reading quite a few posts about engine whining,mine only does it in fifth gear,its very loud.bike has original honda sprockets and chain and not to tight.bike runs smooth so presume balance shaft does not need adjusting, is this anything to worry about long term as i have done 5000 miles on it since i have had it. bike goes like stink, fair bit quicker than fazer 1000 i had would appreciate any answers thanks

They can whine a bit... but really make sure your chain isn't too tight, with someone sat on it when you check it.

Mine whines.

Mine whines, too but not terribly. I keep my chain a bit slack, though. I don't have anoyone I want sitting on it besides me, so I just adjust it on teh looser side.

doubt it is the balancer shaft as this can be heard at idle, if it is adjusted too tight it will wine. To be sure try adjusting it with engine cold, if you cannot hear it from a kneeling position on the front off side of the bike it is not the likely source. My bike wines in 5th gear (like a landrover tyre on tarmac), it has renthal sprockets fitted, it didnt do it with the OEM sprockets fitted, as many will testify, they do make that difference due to lack of dampers, this is not crucial to it's running, but it is annoying if you cannot live with it. Better running the chain slightly slacker than the book reccomends too. Does the bike have standard exhaust fitted? if not check that your chain is not dragging on the centre stand due the lack of a centre stand rest.

thanks all for replies will just have to live with it

Casper, I had the same whine from my bike in top gear, drove me mad everytime I rode it.

Bike had original Honda chain and sprockets on it when i purchased it and although they looked ok and had no tight spots or significant wear they must have been worn.

Put new OEM chain and sprockets on from CJ Balls and noise has all but dissappeared.

I can now enjoy my bike without thinking that something serious is mechanically wong.

I would recommend you just bite the bullet and get a new c+s set.

Worth it.

Casper, I had the same whine from my bike in top gear, drove me mad everytime I rode it.

Bike had original Honda chain and sprockets on it when i purchased it and although they looked ok and had no tight spots or significant wear they must have been worn.

Put new OEM chain and sprockets on from CJ Balls and noise has all but dissappeared.

I can now enjoy my bike without thinking that something serious is mechanically wong.

I would recommend you just bite the bullet and get a new c+s set.

Worth it.

thanks al new chain and sprockets probably due done 14000 miles on orig

thanks al new chain and sprockets probably due done 14000 miles on orig

Mine had only done 13k so not really high milage, but definately noticed the difference when i put a new set on.

let us know how you get on....

Edited by alburrows

Mine had done 6.5k when i got it and the OE chain & sprockets were shot then.

Then again, the whole bike was tatty and unloved so no surprise the chain was sh4gged!

I made the mistake of fitting a cheap chain, only to replace the whole lot with very expensive kit some 1500 miles later.

The difference is amazing after! :D

Mine whines.

Mine whines too, but that's the wife. Bike is fine. :D

Nearly 18000 miles now on my chain & sprockets, without a hint of a whine. This is probably down to having a Scottoiler. Well worth the investment.

No whine here, last spring i changed oem chain and sprocket set, it was whining a little bit but it was gone with that set.

Funny thing was that those chains were DID chain and sprockets were oem, Honda doesent have own chain factory :D