Guest lcoverdale38

clutch griding on acceleration?

19 posts in this topic

Hi all, after a little bit on help if possible

Ive noticed over the last couple of months a noise what i can only describe as grinding when first taking off, the noise is more pronounced in first and second gear around teh 2500 rpm, can also hear it in third if im pulling away at low speed. It sounds like a grinding noise, like an oscillating noise which speeds up as the bike goes faster (in other words its not a permanent sound but intermittent but regular if you know what i mean, like you would imagine the wheel catching on something as it goes round), anyway once above 3000 rpm its seems to either disappear or i just cant hear it due to the noise of the bike and wind etc. I notice that even when at standstill and with the bike in neutral there is still a clattery noise which dissappears if i pull the clutch in. This seems to getting worse as time goes on, but its really noticable in first and second gear

At first i thought it was some kind of heavy vibration but ive check all nuts etc and everything seems okay. Im at the point of taking it into the garage to get it checked over but wondering if anyone has got some ideas, not sure for definitely if its the clutch but i hear of lots of problems with other bikes having clutch noises.

Edited by lcoverdale38

Hi all, after a little bit on help if possible

Ive noticed over the last couple of months a noise what i can only describe as grinding when first taking off, the noise is more pronounced in first and second gear around teh 2500 rpm, can also hear it in third if im pulling away at low speed. It sounds like a grinding noise, like an oscillating noise which speeds up as the bike goes faster (in other words its not a permanent sound but intermittent but regular if you know what i mean, like you would imagine the wheel catching on something as it goes round), anyway once above 3000 rpm its seems to either disappear or i just cant hear it due to the noise of the bike and wind etc. I notice that even when at standstill and with the bike in neutral there is still a clattery noise which dissappears if i pull the clutch in. This seems to getting worse as time goes on, but its really noticable in first and second gear

At first i thought it was some kind of heavy vibration but ive check all nuts etc and everything seems okay. Im at the point of taking it into the garage to get it checked over but wondering if anyone has got some ideas, not sure for definitely if its the clutch but i hear of lots of problems with other bikes having clutch noises.

Just wanted to add the the grinding noise is a pulsating noise, so at say 20mph you can hear it say once per second, its gets more frequent the faster i go.

Aside from it happening/stopping when you pull the clutch lever in, can it be the cam chain tensioner? They go out sooner and are quite easy to replace. They also make a similar noise as you're describing. Check that first to be certain (start with the easy stuff).

The balancer shaft could also make a noise if it gets loose/worn out. not so easy...

If it is fro certain coming from the clutch, it sounds like it's worn out or something isn't right and you may need a new one. Not sure abotu it without hearing it.

Anyone else? Sorry, can't just tell you for sure what it is.

I've never been happy with my clutch since i've had the bike, when you first let the clutch out it feels as if the chain is way too slack or the cush rubbers are worn as there seems to be a delay before the clutch bites, but once on the move every thing is fine.

Bringing up an old thread. but having a similar problem. Started when I heard rattling from front sprocket and pulled over to check and found a small bracket that seems to hold two cables stuck between the swingarm and the engine. continued on and still rattling. I have heard the marble like rattle of a cct on a bird before and don't think it's this. checked chain for tightness, took sprocket cover off to see if the're was any bits in there. nothing.

It is definitely at the front sprocket could it be a bearing on the drive shaft or something like that

Have you checked the chain slipper on the swing arm, could be worn through and the chain dragging the arm ?

Didn't check that. drove it home last nite to collect the car and after about 100k's it stopped completely and is as smooth as ever... must have been something to do with the mysterious bracket that was stuck between the swingarm and engine..

Did it look like this ?

Did it look like this ?

Edited by fast_eddy
Image added bellow

Lol Cheers Eddy

Ok so the grinding has returned. The bracket I found looks as if it holds 2 hoses will upload a pic. The grinding appears to be coming from the front sprocket area. I think it could be worn last time I checked was in the dark and it wasn'tt too good. I'm hoping it's just a matter of changing the chain and sprockets.

Actually it looks abit like part 18 in that pic. Except it is for 2 hoses..

Edited by MOB993

So got the bike up on the centre stand and had it run slowly in first to try find the rattle/grinding and noticed the chain bouncing around. Chain is a bit loose but that shouldn't cause the bouncing?? The front sprocket is worn could this be it?  Could it be stiff spots on the chain as the bike was unfortunatly lying up in a damp shed for a few months as there is some surface light rust?

The chain is in the new area as marked on the swing arm and rear sprocket appears to be good.

And here is a picture of the mysterious part that i found between the engine and the swing arm.

IMAG0231.jpg

What's the condition of the top chain slider?

-Also (& quite important) I hope you haven't lost a few outer rollers on the chain. That happens if the chain is old and has had a hard life.. the outer rollers can crack across and just fall off, once one goes, it increases the load on the next and another & you can guess what happens quite soon.. :( ... BANG!  Ask me how I know...

BTW the part you found is the hose holder from the rear brake pipes, bolts onto swingarm if you still have standard pipes & no delink.

-D

I don't think that the chain is missing any rollers. Maybe just has tight spots. Yea standard brakes.

The top chain slider might need replacing.

Looks and sounds like an old worn chain, they try and climb the sproket then nearly jump with stretched areas....

Take the sprocket cover off and check the front sprocket if its not a Honda one they are noisy, If your really not happy with things replace the lot it could be a cheep chain that's the problem and that will have caused uneven wear on the sprockets.