Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Hoppy

linked brakes, Front locks when rear is applied

6 posts in this topic

That's According to Chiswick Honda.

Failed its MOT on Friday due to the brakes, they say the front is locking up when the front is applied......cant say i noticed it!

& now the cant find out whats causing it.

Looking through the Service manual tonight & my first thoughts are the Proportional control valve or the delay valve.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Well, the say they had a technician in from honda UK (teaches all the honda Grease Monkey) & he "Thinks it might be the Delay valve".

I said i thought it sounded more like the proportional control valve, but was told that's very expensive to replace! & they wanted to try the Delay valve first. Its gonna Cost ?60 for the delay valve, ?49 for an hours work trying to find out what it was (sounds like they've done more than that but only charging the first hour) & another ?49 to fit it.

If that doesn't work then its back to the drawing board.

I assume they are gonna wave any additional charges if this doesn't work!

They are after all & honda Main dealer, & this is on the advice of one honda UK's top men.

You know there was a rumour of a recall for the PCV... I wonder if that's why? I crashed my old x11 after stamping on the back brake and it locked the front on me.

You could always let a bit of air into the the outer line on the rear caliper! Or even better take it to a non-honda dealer (who wouldn't know about the linking) and they'd just test the front by pulling the hand lever and test the rear by pressing the foot pedal.

All done. Doesnt seem much different....a little tighter but no big change, mind you I suppose It's always best to be sure where brakes are concerned.

Hi.Glad you got it sorted.Can you explain what was done please.

Hi.Glad you got it sorted.Can you explain what was done please.

Hi Paul, They Fitted a new Delay Valve (front forks) Fitted new rear pads, checked all the hoses, Stripped the calipers & bled through the system.

Must admit i went out for a short ride this evening & the brakes were sharper B)