Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest sthomson1

new X11 ... buzzing noise

12 posts in this topic

just bought an x11.

Noticed when i blip the throttle, in neutral, theres a buzzing/whine from the engine. (right side)

Also, the makes the same whine noise when moving, in every gear

any ideas what this may be ?

bike accelerates very smoothly, unless i blip the throttle, then i get a clunk (i think this might be the cush drive)

cheers

steve

just read the Q&A thread...looks like the noise is most likely the front sprocket.

Its and aftermarket one thats installed

whining noise whilst moving might be the front sprocket, the OEM one has a rubber damper fitted to it, the aftermarket ones like JT and Renthal dont have the damper fitted and it makes a difference. The noise from the right hand side of the engine could be the cam chain tensioner, if the bike has been sat idle for some time it might be stuck.The adjuster is an automatic adjuster and can wear. It is located just behind the right hand side shroud, there is a capping screw on the top, this can be removed and a flat bladed screwdriver can be inserted into the adjuster housing, wind the adjuster out with the screwdriver and it should ping itself back into place, do this 2-3 times and make sure it pings back with some force. see how you go with that. Check the chain tension too, the manual gives a mesurment of 25-35mm movment, there may be a sticker on the swingarm as a guide to this measurment, i tend to run my chain 38-40mm as i find it runs better. another possibility as to the source of the wining noise could be the balancer shaft, this is located at the front of the engine on the off side. This has to be adjusted when the engine is cold. The manual for the bike is available to Benefactors of the forum for a small donation all the service information is available there.

The engine noise sounds as Pete mentions, the clunk could be worn cush rubbers but could also be the chain & sprockets that need replacing.

If the bike has been stood for a while, you could have a tight spot in the chain due to lack of use or lube.

Check the rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings aswell, my own x11 clunked a fair bit before i replaced wheel bearings, chain & sprockets.

My old cbr1000 clunked quite bad when accelerating hard, the swingarm bearings were shot then.

Good luck. ;)

Edited by raeman

Thanks very much guys, this is a very helpful forum :-)

Ill check the CC tensioner later, the drive chain and sprockets are in very good condition, the bike has a tourer scottoiler fitted. The oil and filters will be getting changed later, also, just ordered some new plugs....i have no idea when the bike was last serviced.

I was pleasantly suprised at how well those clock plastics deflect the wind, i was sitting at 80 with no proplems.

Ill get some photos of my new, tatty, x11 posted later

When you change the plugs go at them by lifting the tank and removing the air box completely, it is far easire than doing it the way the manual says by going in through the front. If the spark plug tool is still with the bike use it and attach a 10mm socket to the end to drive it.

When pulling off the airbox, it is a good idea to use a driver for the screws holding on the intake cones - they're in tight and can strip easily if you don't. I stripped one of mine.

OK, Ive spent a few hours going over the bike tonight.

A lot better than i expected :-)

The rattle from the right side is clutch related, probably the plates rattling about in the basket.

The whine when moving is almost definately the front sprocket.

Apart from that, the bikes running very well.

The acceleration is amazing, way faster than my ZRX1100 or aprilia falco, love the turbine smoothness

Fitted a set of medium renthals i had and removed the heated grips and gold renthals that were on it.

Think ill get an undertray and bellypan, make the bike look a wee bit prettier.

This IS the best bike ive owned...love it :-) the fact that ive never seen one on the road makes it even better :-)

bars-2.jpg

bike.jpg

Bit of a result then, might benefit from a plug change too so there might be more to come yet. watch those turns at walking pace though it is big heavy muther to pick up, good technique required.

When i first test rode the bike, i had to turn out of a parking space. I put my put dowm, then had to reposition my foot fast, before the bike fell ! heart in the mouth moment.

Its the same weight as the ZRX, but, it feels alot heavier...must be the height.

I ordered iridium plugs yesterday, hopefully ill get them today.

Bit of a result then, might benefit from a plug change too so there might be more to come yet. watch those turns at walking pace though it is big heavy muther to pick up, good technique required.

Edited by sthomson1

Newbie, i had a bad bearing like noise from mine when i bought it, eventually cured by getting a new original honda chain and sprocket kit, but the noise was only there when riding the bike.

Could also be worth checking your balance shaft is correctly adjusted as it's on the lower right ft of engine and can cause a noise when revving and on over run.

Glad it's sorted and, mainly, you love riding it. Yes, it out excellerates anything I've ever ridden. Goes from smooth to rip your head off in a flash. GREAT fun. It handles well at speed, as you've noticed. I dropped mine in slow motion first day out on it (doing a u turn) and after that wen tto a car park and practised. Now I get along well even commuting in london traffic. Not to say it's easy...