Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest matt25011774

petrol tank

18 posts in this topic

is it simple to remove the tank completely as im gettign it sprayed,when i remove the two nuts at the bottom what else is holding it on?

You really need to read the workshop manual to do this. You have to remove the petrol pipes and wiring connectors etc...

havent go tone where can i find one?

Have a read of the forum, the SEARCH function works well too.

The fuel pipe from the injector manifold is secured with a banjo bolt, and the fuel pump wiring disconnects on the nearside adjacent to the battery, it is easier to remove without fuel, take it for a long ride first.

Matt, if you have some hose clamps,then it's a much easier affair!!:rolleyes:

that wiring its just eart wires isnt it it wont **** up the electrics if i disconnect it from the tank?ill run it dry first as its too bloody heavy to lift as it is,then ill put some rubber bands around the hoses thanks chaps,o just onemore thing how does the front end of the tank coem out is it just lift out?

A gentle tug backwards with the back of the tank lifted a few inches. The investment of two small pipe clamps from a hardware store pay for themselves in one removal. The wiring is unplugged from the harness on the LHS of the frame just behind the tank.

the tank is off i forgot the hose clamps but hey a little bit of fuel onthe floor isnt goign to kill anyone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahey ooops nearly slipped

I took the tank off for the first time today - I cannot believe there isn't a tap to shut off the fuel.

So I'm thinking of adding one of these non-leak couplers to the fuel return pipe (6mm I.D. rubber pipe on the right hand side). I'd also like to add one to the pipe that goes to the injector manifold (the one with the banjos). Has anyone done this already? If so can you let me know what the I.D. of this pipe is so that I can order one.

I'm a little worried that this pipe might be high pressure (why else would it need banjos?), and if it is high pressure do we think these couplers can handle the pressure?

Can anyone put my mind at rest.

I know the sort you mean, i going to get some but then got some small brake hose clamps dirt cheap and they do the job a treat.

I just use them now on both sides.

I would double check before getting the connectors, be honest how often will you take your tank off to need them?

I`ve had mine off a couple of times this year and it`s not a problem undoing the banjos and refitting them, besides it`s the fuel return pipe that will leak petrol the most and that dosn`t have banjo fittings as it is a low pressure pipe.

Hey Matt - you are listed as a benefactor, so go to the Benefactor's section and there is the Manual to download/read. Anyone else, too, who is a benefactor.

If you go for quick release connectors make sure they are rated for the pressure in the fual rail (42psi off the top of my head) last thing you want is the thing to blow appart under pressure and pump fuel all over a hot engine and electrical connections.