Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plastic_orange

Cutting Out

34 posts in this topic

Went on my first ride of the year today - bike went a bit quicker with new exhaust. On way home, the engine cut out about 4 separate times, but restarted straight off. 3 times was doing about 80, and the last time was went negotiating a junction. I had no indication by warning lights, or by rev counter flicking etc - any ideas? I've not investigated yet, but will start with power commander connections.

Pete

Not so good Pete

Yes, this is the third thing to happen to me this week - My V8 minor engine went pop, my car got a puncture, now this - feeling pissed off.

Pete

Pete,

Do you keep your beast clean with the aid of a power washer, if so I think you could be on the right track.

Had an aquaintance who had a power commander fitted to his R1 & he used a power washer, he had the same symtoms as you describe. Apparently power commanders can't swim & like water on a par with cats.

Wayne.

Pete doesnt use a power washer, ear buds and fairy dust only

I'll have a look on Tuesday - been no water near the bike for 4 months. It ran perfectly for miles, then the problem, but when I left it ticking over at home - ran faultlessly. Only thing I've done recently was fit the Micron 4 into 1 system - can't see that doing it.

Pete

Micron has the lambda sensor fitted, but I've disconnected it from loom and fitted an O2 eliminator.

Pete

Probably some crap one one of the sensors or a bit of shite in the fuel line... maybe it'll just go away when you give it a good run?

I'll check a few connections, them go out and thrash the ass off it ;)

Pete

Took my 'X' out yesterday. Unplugged the Optimiser, & she fired up no problem. Strange thing is, the FI light stayed on. Took her out anyway for about 50 miles with the light on constantly, & she ran like a dream. Any ideas what the problem is anyone? It did the same thing last year, but when I turned the engine off & re-started, it didn't stay on again.

Fookin electrics - I'm off to get a buss pass ;D

Pete

I just remembered that I dosed it up with redex before i put it off the road - maybe it's cleaning things out. I'll fill it up again and try it out - hopefully this week if weather's fine.

Tickover is certainly a bit higher with new system, so I'll adjust that too.

Pete

Went out again today - was even worse. It happened when it was cold, high revs, low revs and medium revs, plus cut out twice at tickover. It just happens suddenly with no warning - rev counter doesn't flicker, no warning lights, then just carries on as normal. I filled up with Shell Optimax today, so shouldn't be fuel. I think it is a fuel related problem rather than ignition - any ideas?

Pete

could be water in the fuel due to condesation in the tank.

Tank was almost full when I parked it up for the winter.

Pete

Checked out on the *****bird site and there appears a problem with wiring connectors - not sure if X11 is the same, but I'll be checking them all out just in case:

http://ixxra.co.uk/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2816

Pete

Could it be dodgy fuel?

Are you getting any error code from the F1 light when parked on the side stand?

Check the "angle of bank" sensor too for good measure...

Eddy - FI light has never flashed, and it happens in a straight line as well as corners - don't know when it's about to do it. It's happened a few times when giving it a full handful (bike) and you get thrown forward by the jerk (caused by bike) ;) - not pleasant at 120.

Never got a chance to look at connections today, but may manage tomorrow.

Dodgy fuel would be causing it to happen more often - on a 15 mile run it happened about 10 times at varying speeds.

Pete

looking in the X11 registry i noticed a guy called Thomas Johnson, he had a 2000 model, he reported he had a problem with cutting out that was related to a bad connection to the fuel injection system, his was fixed under warranty.His contact details are on the registry, might be worth dropping him a line.

Cheers,

I'll have a look.

Pete

No I mean to do the test when it's parked...

Check that lean over sensor... not many of the sensors can cause it to cut-out but that one can.

Had exactly the same problem with mine over the weekend....... Turns out it was a loose connection on the battery.

As always the last thing I checked :doh:

Where about is the lean over sensor?

Pete

Found it.

Sprayed WD40 on all connections, bike ticked over for 20 minutes without cutting out - will try it on the road tomorrow - no time today.

Pete