Guest mudmucks

She wont start.

14 posts in this topic

Hi All, can anyone help?

When I turn the ignition on I get about 4 flashes from the HISS key light, other lights light OK. Then with just neutral and oil light on I thumb the starter, and apart from a loud click from what I guess is the solenoid - nothing.

Switch it off an on again, somtimes I get the 4 key flashes, sometimes not. Can hear fuel pump and other gubbins whining, checking and cycling away but nothing on the button.

I have tried with the spare key, battery has charge and kill switch is set to RUN.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Martin

The four flashes that you get from the hiss light would indicate that it is trying to match an unrecognised key. But you have to be precise about the number of flashes! Saying "about 4 flashes" isn't good enough!

Make sure you have no other keys near your x11, other bike or car keys with chips in them etc.

Check the wiring connectors to the HISS unit are intact from inside the headlight shell. Particularly if you have been in there recently! Also, check all the connectors all over the bike, pay particular attention to the flimsy wiring to the plugs on the ECU.

Otherwise, there's a lengthy troubleshooting that we'd have to go through.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Seem to be getting a different number of flashes every time I switch the key on. Sometimes 22 on first switch on, then all number of different combinations of flashes, clicks and whines after I thumb the starter.

I checked all wiring connections - which all seem to be OK (what exactlly to the HISS connectors look like in the headlight bowl?)

The bike was near other coded keys, lots of BMW ones around 2 - meters away. Could this have done it?

Recovery coming this morning.

Thanks again.

Martin

Sounds to me like , you need to pull all your conectors apart let them dry out and spray with a small amount of WD40 before putting back together , check your wiring loom at the back by the ecu.

Turns out it was a dud battery. I dont know if I read the coloured lights on the charger wronly, just didnt look properly or what!!?? Anyway new battery vs. new ECU = much releif!

Thanks for the replies, at least i have gone over all my connectors now, padded the ECU with some foam and got to know my bike a bit better. Thanks again!

Thats a result Martin , try www.motorbikebatteriesdirect.com I got mine for ?36.99 including postage.

Greetings !!

If you check back a while I had a similar 'problem' with my beast - it was cutting out, missing and refusing to start except with a push etc. After a few suggestions from the ever helpful people here I too bought another new battery. I say another because in January I had bought a new Chinese battery which turned-out to be the problem - it just could'n't deal with the X11s' requirements. I bought a new Yuasa and it's been fine ever since, - (hope I'm not tempting fate here)! The lesson I've hopefully learnt is that for the sake of trying to save a few quid on said chinkie job I could have risked me pride and joy.

Glad to hear you've sorted yours and hope it stays that way.

Aye, "no brand" dud in the bin (read "responsible recycling point") and Yuasa in. Running sweetly now.

Result! :)

da da, the battery monster has struck again.Nice evening last night, got the big lass out and headed off into the sunset, fuel light came on so i stopped for some juice. Started back up again no problem, then realised that i hadn't done my lid strap, don't know why but i stopped the engine while i did the strap, tried to restart, engine would barely turn over, tried a couple more times with less success, bugger! Rang Carole Nash breakdown, the SOS Recovery man was with me within an hour, he took me home, diagnosis battery has expired, the trickle charge had been keeping it alive and normally i don't stop the engine when i go for a ride so the starter hasn't done much work recently, seems three starts in a row was too much. S**T happens eh, but looking at those photos of Cats i have nothing to moan about.

Oh dear, glad you got it sorted pete. Have to start using mine again soon (if it ever stops p*ssing down!!) Incidently,is your battery the original one? Think mine is.

don't know if it is the original battery, picked a Varta up from Manbat for ?38.50, looked online but by the time delivery is paid it is no cheaper than going to the dealer, incidentally some sites were offering the same battery for ?75.00, buyer beware. Out of interest Manbat have depots dotted around the UK for other potential customers. It is currently degassing in the shed ready for fitting when the rain stops.

Not a bad price that pete, i bought one for my cbr about 2 months ago,was about ?40ish.did get 2 bottles of acid with it for free aswell.Job's a gudun;)

this one comes with seperate acid, you fill it yourself, let the gass burn off then seal it. no need to charge it.