Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ketansawant

I Want To Make All 4 Indicators Glow/ Switched On

23 posts in this topic

Hello all a question, I want to make by bike stand out in the night and make it more visible, so what I want to do is make all 4 indicators glow/ switched on when the bike is running just like a car, and when I do use my indicators they flash like normal indicators with the other side still on so only the turning side flashing, has any one done this before if you have can you please share the info on how you achieved this. Thank you.

You'd need to fit a twin filament bulb socket (aka stop/tail light) to each indicator. With an additional wire to feed the extra one powered from the lighting circuit.

Probably do-able... but you'd have to mangle your indicators, prolly better to get some cheap aftermarket ones and do it to those instead.

Hello all a question, I want to make by bike stand out in the night and make it more visible, so what I want to do is make all 4 indicators glow/ switched on when the bike is running just like a car, and when I do use my indicators they flash like normal indicators with the other side still on so only the turning side flashing, has any one done this before if you have can you please share the info on how you achieved this. Thank you.

I would check to see if it's legal before doing it.

Be a shame to do all the hard work only to be told it,s got to go.

Let us know the outcome and good luck.

Relays?

Maybe they will do it if changed.

At the moment they are off when not in use, then 'blink' on and off when switched on.

If there are relays that do the opposite - so to speak - keep the light on, then when switched on, they 'bink' it off and on.

Iam not sure that is legal in the UK, you can get a kit that converts your indicators to hazard warning lights, these are common/standard spec in some countries (France for one) but to actually have an indicator part lit (dimly lit) gives a false impression to other road users. The other solution would be to source some auxiliary side/tail lights but even this is a bit dubious because iam sure there are regulations as to where they can be sited on a vehicle with regard to spacing. I know it applies to additional spotlights fitted to cars. My MoT tester gave me a polite warning that the rear reflector on my bike is mounted on the rear footpeg bracket and strictly speaking by the letter of the law it should be central, it still passed though.

Iam not sure that is legal in the UK, you can get a kit that converts your indicators to hazard warning lights, these are common/standard spec in some countries (France for one) but to actually have an indicator part lit (dimly lit) gives a false impression to other road users. The other solution would be to source some auxiliary side/tail lights but even this is a bit dubious because iam sure there are regulations as to where they can be sited on a vehicle with regard to spacing. I know it applies to additional spotlights fitted to cars. My MoT tester gave me a polite warning that the rear reflector on my bike is mounted on the rear footpeg bracket and strictly speaking by the letter of the law it should be central, it still passed though.

He had a go at me about mine Pete. Mine's stuck on the no plate, should be underneath apparently but like your's he still passed it. :D

Good old Alan,I try not to abuse his good nature, always best to keep him on your side.

Just imagine that, a world in which all the vehicles on the road drove around with all their indicators lit, chaos theory?? noo chaos fact, lets just think about this for a while, an insurance companies worst nightmare "so when you ran the pedestrian over at the juntion did you make it clear to him which direction you intended to take by indicating?? of course i did both my indicators were on at the time i approached the junction your honour".

So basically in NZ the cars are like the USA whereas the indicators are lit when the light's are switched on??

Have you considered buying some LED light's to fit on your fork legs or under the indicators for example? :unsure:

Edited by raeman

The op lives in NZ, so who bloody cares about UK legality?

Even if it is illegal where he lives... he can run the risk if he likes.

Bloody thought police everywhere these days police.gif

I had a Craig Vetter full fairing, on an old GS850 years ago, that came from the usa and had built in "running lights" which were basicaly stop/tail lights behind an amber lense. The 5w ones came on with the side lights and the 21w ones when you put the indicators on.

No bloody way could someone get confused as to your intentions of intended direction and in all the years I had it I never had plod even mention them on a pull. We used to get pulled quite a lot in those days too, never to look at fuggin number plates or exhaust cans tho!

If you want to do it Ketan... just get on with it.

Sorry...Illegal in UK

Well you can but those fake Audi strip led's now, you can stick them in your headlight, around your headlight or even on the fork legs.

If they are white led's facing forward their ok. It's only a problem when they are different colours. White for the front and red at the back is ok. I have a strip of red led's in my undertray wired straight to the brake light, no probs come MOT time. :D

Eddy...Firstly you can murder someone if you like wherever you live, but I wouldn't say just do it........I appreciate the two are a bit different...but why so blatently put your neck on the chopping block..and secondly who MOT'd your bike with the daytime amber lights on the front. I wouldn't have trusted him with a Tonka toy!!!!!

It was Standish who queried their legality in the UK and I simply answered that question.........Jesus........!!!!

You are bloody wrong tho!

You are permitted to have amber lights even in the uk... they aren't even tested on the MOT!

http://www.motuk.co....cmanual_110.htm

Fog lamps and amber lamps

The inspection (I.I) does NOT include rear fog lamps or amber lamps located within the

indicators.

Statutory Instrument 1989 No. 1796

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 - continued

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCHEDULE 3

(Regulations 18 and 20)

PART I

requirements relating to obligatory dim-dip devices and running lamps

1. A dim-dip device fitted to satisfy regulation 18 shall cause light to be emitted from the dipped-beam filament of each obligatory dipped-beam headlamp, each such light having, so far as is practicable, an intensity of between 10 and 20 per cent of the intensity of the normal dipped beam.

2. Running lamps fitted to satisfy regulation 18 shall be in the form of a matched pair of front lamps, each of which-

(a) is fitted in a position in which an obligatory front position lamp may lawfully be fitted, and

(B) is capable of emitting white light to the front having an intensity of not less than 200 candelas, measured from directly in front of the centre of the lamp in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and of not more than 800 candelas in any direction.

3. The electrical connections to the obligatory dim-dip device or running lamps, as the case may be, shall be such that the light output specified in paragraph 1 or 2 above is emitted automatically whenever-

(a) the engine of the vehicle is running, or the key or devices which control the starting or stopping of the engine are in the normal position for driving the vehicle, and

(i) the obligatory position lamps, but not the headlamps, of the vehicle are switched on, or

(ii) the obligatory position lamps are switched off.

PART II

REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO OPTIONAL DIM-DIP DEVICES AND RUNNING LAMPS

There is no requirement relating to an optional dim-dip device or an optional running lamp.

I reckon they are NOT part of the MOT because they are illegal per say and the law caters for them by statute................

I'm talking about motorbikes here btw... they aren't tested because they aren't a legal requirement.

Doesn't mean they are unlawful tho...

The regs apply to both.........As I recall DRLs have to be white facing forwards. I can't remember to be honest if they are legal rear facing even in red which I reckon would be the common sense colour if they were..........Whatever the legality it's not worth falling out over cause it's bollox anyway!!

True, and it's not like we want 'em anyway! :)

Legal or not.. My 54 plate Warrior came with running lights as it was an American import but I was stopped by plod who deemed them illegal on a UK registered bike..not worth the aggro.

Might be illegal in the UK but Ketan lives in NZ, different rules, law's ect.. :)

Did a bit of research and asking around found out that it islegal in NZ to have all 4 indicators going as long as they flash when turning. You get a kit that will do this for you aswell but is quite expensive and will only do the front or the rear indicators,so am now looking at 2 suggestions from the forum, one from eddy that I like wasswap the bulb holder with a brake light holder and have the brake light bulbswith 2 filaments and one which some one also suggested which I had in my mindas well was a flasher which does exactly opposite of what it’s doing now, socurrently is breaks the circuit in normal operation and when indicator switchis used it completes the circuit, I am going to buy a flasher and see if I canget someone to reverse the circuit for me, circuit complete so all lights litin normal operation and break it when indicator used. Will keep you allposted.