Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MadDogMcQ

Exhaust Cleanup!

13 posts in this topic

Bought an X11 last weekend and have just been having a close look at the exhaust downpipes. Jeez, what a horrible mess they look. In fact, I'd even been considering buying a replacement set off FleaBay for

Nice one :niceone:

You'd have thought they'd have been past it?

What a result , some of us slackers need to take note !

Nice job you did there!

Once there nice and shiny it's easy to keep them like that!:)

Very impressive !!! :eek:

Nice job!!!

Nice one :niceone: You'd have thought they'd have been past it?

Eh?? What did you say? I can never seem to read any of your posts. I find them strangely distracting!

;D

On a serious note though, I wasn't very hopeful when I set out, because they looked so horrible. It looked like rust but obviously, they're stainless steel, so it was just some sort of discolouration mixed in with $hit and crud.

The results are encouraging me to completely remove the pipes so that I can get to every last nook and crannie.

Tom

Edited by MadDogMcQ

A wee bit of hard graft and elbow grease eh !!!!!!...

Looking great.. and hardly cost you anything .. and self satisfaction

Just like the old days... and not like todays society ( IN GENERAL) .. of throw away and buy another :D

Well done !!

How is the rest of the bike looking :huh:??:huh:??:huh:??

Really impressed, Tom! I was also thinking mine were knackered and they don't look nearly as bad as yours. Hmm, maybe just some end cans, er silencers, then? :rolleyes: Thanks for the tip.

Job well done.:clapping:

Tom, when I've fitted my new rectifier, I'm going to pop up to Bolton - you can give me a demonstration (on my pipes!) of how easy it is!!:D

Seriously, it looks great, my wife is going to hate you at the weekend when the wire wool vanishes.

Hold on Amigo! I didn't say anything about nicking your wife's wirewool (won't she be knitting with it?).

To be honest, I was looking for wirewool myself when I found these stainless-steel scourers in the garage. They're incredibly soft to the touch despite looking quite harsh in the packet. A blob of Solvol and away you go. No hard rubbing, no blisters - piece of cake mate.

On a seperate note, my bike had just had a

Re; rectifiers (Highjacked thread), be careful if possible always use an OEM rectifier, there are plenty of stories eminating from IXXra relating to aftermarket and pattern ones not lasting long, overheating seems to be a possible cause with some, so check when you pack your soft luggage onto your bike that the breather in the tail plastics is not blocked.