Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JamesCates

Exhaust Exchange Questions

6 posts in this topic

Hi all. Anyone have any info on a good downpipe/header to use? I think I've decided on the can but have a few questions about the exhaust itself. Here goes:

1. I want to drop weight, so am thinking about a single exhaust. I see the OE one actually is on one side and splits to make the dual. So, if I change it to a single, how would that throw off the balance, if at all?

2. Dropping that much weight on the bottom may make it top heacy - any thoughts/experiences/suggesitons on this? I don't want to mess up the handling and know too much dif in low vs top weight can do this (vice versa, too).

3. How will the above changes affect fueeling, engone, etc.? I'll want to tune it on a dyno, either way, but do like how it performs and don't want a top end beast.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Don't worry about most of the issues you have mentioned, you will save a good amount of weight, most of the systems made for the fatbird will fit the X11 without many issues (making a new rad stay) and can be picked up previously owned. You can only alter the fuelling if you also fit a power commander as the standard ECU will not allow for adjustments. Most after market systems run fine without, although my Akra pops on deceleration even now it is mapped. It will not feel top heavy or wobbly or unbalanced, some don't like the single can look but that is just personal preference.Fitting a full system is generally the easiest way to open out the top end and generally adds in the region of 7-8 bhp ballpark, although all engines are different and not all dyno's are accurate, and some owners are creative with the truth (they tend to ride lesser bikes).

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure yet about the single exhaust look, either, just know it will save a ton of weight. I'll look into it. Also good to know the Blackbird's exhaust will fit - seem to be more out there listed under that.

I'll be putting on a power commander just to give me the ability to adjust as needed/desired and play around a bit.

Still looking for a good dyno tuner - know any in the London area (I'm in North London, so even up to South Yorkshire is good for me)?

If you after more power, I wouldn't bother with anything other than a full system. Read through previous postings about what to expect, with a few power graphs to look at. In my experience I got an additional 11 rwhp over a dynoed twin remus system using a Micron 4 into 1 - gave over 20 more than the posted 122 ish rwhp for a standard bike.

You often find systems on a certain site - pay around

I recently put my full akra back on my bike. Standard exhausts + headers weigh at least 15 or 16KG. Full akra around 4KG. Gives a weight saving of over 10KG.

I don't have a PC and it seems to fuel OK.

I don't notice it being more top heavy or less balanced, but it does feel easier to turn in than with the standard exhaust - probably a combination of it being lighter and having a slightly higher centre of gravity.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks all for the info.

Pete, I did browse the site and foudn a lot of stuff but not sure it was what I was after. I'll have a look again. Really more the weight savings than the power boost. Although, that's always a plus. I'm happy with the power and performance of the bike overall but can't help "improving" things a bit.

Paul, on the Akra: sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks again.