Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest kraftwerk

Weird induction noise

5 posts in this topic

Since I changed the coils, leads and caps, eradicating the misfire I was experiencing, the bike has been making a weird noise coming from the airbox. Difficult to explain, but when I rev it and the revs drop, the airbox makes a noise like it's popping, constricting.

I had the tank off again this morning, took the top off the airbox, checked all the pipe connections and for blockages, replaced the airbox making sure it was a good, tight fit, put the whole lot together again and it's still making this noise.

Very frustrating. Any pointers gratefully received.

Are the sensors connected properly/clean, in particular the Air Intake Temp one at the back of the airbox?

Or maybe even check the pipes to the PAIR valves or summat?

My X11 has just developed this noise after fitting new manual camchain tensioner, double checked timing and its spot on, sounds like its coming from airbox, anyone any ideas ?

Just a thought but could the air box be amplifiering a sound from a other part of the engine,it may be worth going over the engine with the old screwdriver trick or check the tensioner is not a bit off tension?

That's what I'm thinking Blueboy. If the old air filter was constricting air flow at all, then fitting a new one might encourage those minor explosions that I rather like going off in the headers. Could it be the sound of unburnt fuel popping and crackling in the exhaust?  I have discovered that by holding the throttle open the tiniest of amount on harsh deceleration I can make the exhausts sound like a firework show :niceone:

There's no moving parts in the airbox, so aside from ensuring that the filter is sat in its groove correctly there's not much more to go wrong in that dept.

I reckon the noise is being transferred from somewhere else.

Edited by Scorch