Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mike

Won't start?

17 posts in this topic

Anyone had this 'problem' ? Me and the boss had a quickie over to the lakes last weekend, - cold but just a treat to be out there, - on the way back stopped at Pickering and it would'n't start again with 'the button'. So I had to shove it up a bit of a hill in the market place (tank bag and panniers etc. - and jump it off back down. Got home to Hull - no problem and it started fine again. Put the battery on 'Optithingie' and it's back in the green and fine again. I'm just a bit concerned that on longer foriegn trips I may have more problems and not get away so lucky.

My pal says could be rectifier/regulator - anyone any ideas / comments ?

Thanks all,

Mike

Put a new battery on it.

My old x11 did that... it'd be fine for ages then let me down in the middle of nowhere... grrr!

It's just had a new battery fitted in January and the 'optimeter' says it's fine.

Did you notice wether the starter solenoid clicked when you pressed the button? seem to remeber there was a recent post relating to this that turned out to be a poor connection on the starting circuit. if you have juice out of the battery check the connections on the starting circuit. The battery is only being used to turn it over, once the thing has fired up the battery becomes irrelevant, it should have been fullly optimized when you got back to Hull anyway, if it wasnt look at your charging circuit. I knew a bloke that traded a BMW in once because he had starting problems, talking to the guys at the dealers some days later i found out that he had been trying to start it with the kill switch in the off position, the guy in the garage didnt tell him cos he wanted the sale, the BMW was in the showroom the next day.

mine did that, was loose wire on starter

Check the bolts on the battery connectors too! If it was just replaced in January one of them might ba a little loose.

If you've got a regulator problem the battery will either be boiling itself to death or just not charging , usually its the battery boiling which will be the battery hissing an whistling at you plus it will be swollen and very hot , best to get someone to go through things with a meter just to be sure !.

Hi mike,i would take the seat and tank off to check all connections.whilst the tanks off,you could check the starter motor for any loose wires,etc.

I had a good feeling when I got this bike, - sort of a 'special club' feel to it, - now I'm convinced. Thanks for all the swift replies people - I'll have a good look over the weekend and see if I can get it solved.

Regards,

Mike

Special club for a special bike mike :thumbsup:

Hopefully it's something easy fixed ;D

Special club for those with special needs....have you met Standish and I ? :toothy12:

Welcome

Hi..Try tightening the battery terminal bolts with a 10mm spanner...forget a phillips screwdriver...you just cant get enough 00mph on it...Hope this cures it..Ride safe. ...... Steve (Redex)

It's not that kind of "special club", one visited one of them in Thailand, ooh eer missus, but we are all special in our own little way. If there is one good thing about machines they are predictable in the way they break down and if it breaks down and is 8 years old plus, someone else has seen the same thing before, and if they are not a A'hole they will help you out .

See, - just when I thought everyone would have forgotten this by now up come some more ideas. I'm working my way (sounds like a song !) through the tips as best I can and I will let the board know when I get it fixed and I will put some pix on when it's cleaner so you can see the nice shiny framework ! Once again thanks all and look out for the pix.

(Anyone asked the new Russian member if he's ex-KGB or are we all a bit too worried he'll put a hit on us !?)

Tara

i might go to the bulldog bash this year so i could do with keeping on the good side, stand less chance of getting shot with a possee of heavily armed members of the uzi fan club.Reminder, must ask Daz about body armour recommendations too (is a newspaper under my jacket unsuitable)?

It'll do just fine mate. As long as your being chased by 7 years olds with paint ball guns. To be 100% certain make sure the newspaper is wet.

Have you sorted the problem ?