Guest Tashman

Xenon headlight bulb

13 posts in this topic

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of these? I found the thread on HID, but would not want to go to that expense and was wondering if this was a worthwhile upgrade. The blurb says you dont need to change anything else...just substitute the std H4. Is this true?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark yep you should be able to fit a Xenon bulb , I have them in my car 50% brighter, I wouldnt say they are 50% brighter plus they seem to give out more scattered light

Try Here

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=255

Hi,

They are better than standard. I used to habitually run 100W bulbs(!!) in all my cars and bikes for main beam (illegal but no-one in 30 years has ever checked, even when I've been stopped...).

However an xenon gives about the same improvement as 100W over 55W (it looks something like 20% or so) but uses less energy and generates less heat (and doesn't melt your wiring).

br D.

Heat with Xenon and higher wattage bulbs is the problem, the Plastic Headlight lens on the X11 could be affected with more than std H4 bulb heat, HID is getting really cheap now, see here http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=78_120&products_id=102&osCsid=e3afa717463d71c61ba6238408632551 Dipping ones too! so fit in place of H4 bulbs.

?89.99 the pair, split cost between two less than ?45 each plus of course p&p.

HID advantages, truer brighter light, less drain on bike electrics, HID bulbs last 10x + longer than std bulbs.

Hi,

xenon is ok, the light wavelengths are "tweaked" to minimise the heat output (after all many cars are plastic lensed now..) but the 100W (or more!!) tungsten bulbs are another matter, they could be bad for an X!. I run xenon in mine 'tho and it's fine, if anything the light lens is cooler than standard.

The thing with the H4 HIDs is that as far as I know they're all mechanical, i.e. a bloody solenoid heaves a deflector into place for dip etc. it works but a bit iffy and a bike might shake it to bits. If you have single filament bulbs then it's fine because you don't need the added cr*p, you have a separate dip and a main bulb of course.

I admit I'd still rather like to do it though (the HID option that is)...

br

Dermot.

I've had the dipping H4 HID type set up fitted to my bike now for nearly two years and not experienced any problems when driving yet in over 6,000 miles.

Occasionally it can stick on first use after a few weeks lay up but the vibration actually helps free it up the dipping mechanism.

Can say it really has improved the headlight efficiency.

Regards

Andyx11

Got a xenon bulb in mine, got it from liddles ?6.00 for a pair, good improvement over std,

Seen Andys HID in the flesh & must say that is a serious light, its just a tad brighter than a super nova.

Hi Peeps. Theres a guy on ebay selling them for ?5 a pair H4 in either Blue , Mega white or yellow..Yellow is stunning, just put one in mine..incredible difference...

Admin Edit.

This kind of posting is unacceptable, pretending to help members source items and providing a review, when in fact you are the "guy" on ebay selling the bloody things!

You have received a "red card" for this post... we only want x11 owners not traders!

Edited by fast_eddy
Sneaky spam and devious behaviour.

Err,would that be you then col??;)

Dont think coloured lamps will get you a ministry certificate, and you might attract plods like the proverbial moths too the flame, they need very few excuses to "have a chat".

Iv'e just seen some HID H4 kits for sale and there a very good price ?75 with p+p.;D I really want a set,but been wondering where you would mount the ballast box and other gubbins?? Andy,where did you fit yours??;)

Mine is a Phillips kit which has a quite long lead from the ballast box which I have mounted using industrial strength velcro on top of my battery, the leads then run under the tank to the headstock, to the headlamp case. Then theres a relay box i couldn't fit inside the headlamp shell, which takes the high/dipped feed from the original bulb connector which i mounted underneath the headlamp bowl.

Suppose what I'm trying to say is you need around 1m long leads from the ballast to the bulb holder end.

Ah right ok.I thought the ballast would have to go somewhere like that,thought about putting the relay box on the flat part,just under the clocks or where you did yours sounds good enough.

Cheers andy.;)