Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest _Benny_

Break light problems.

4 posts in this topic

The brake light doesn't work when pushing the pedal. The funny thing is that it is working from the handswitch. As I see it the switch connected to the pedal is working in both ways. I demounted it and remounted it. I try to solve the problem with the wiring diagrams but I'm not able to read those out.

Help anybody?

/Benny

Hey Benny, The green/yellow wire runs between the rear and front brake light switches, it also runs to the brake light, this should be +. The white/green wire is the wire that gives the brake light circuit its power (+) This runs directly from the fuse box to both the front and back brake switches.

If the front switch works ok try checking if you have voltage between ground (pick an earth point or the - terminal on the battery) and the white/green wire with the ignition switched on, if you have then the + supply to the rear switch is ok.

Do the same check to ground (-) to the green/yellow wire with the brake switch in the ON position (brake pedal down), if no voltage is coming through the switch the switch may be full of dirt and jammed.

To check the switch put a link wire across the green/yellow and white/green wires (make sure you do not ground the wires because they are both + and grounding them will blow the 10amp fuse in the fusebox). With the wires linked across the brake light should light up proving the switch is at fault.

Sometimes with vibration the switch will unscrew in the bracket and go out of range so when the pedal is pressed the spring does not move far enough to move the switch.

Also check the ground wire at the rear light, does the tail light work? if not the green wire may have a fault, this is common to both brake and tail light.

Hope this helps.

Thanx alot standish. I tried to find the problem in the tail assembly I constructed by myself. The problem was in the pedalswitch. The contacts didn't reach the copper ring in the bottom of the switch. Wrong assembled from the beginning I think.

Thank you!

/Benny

Good news Benny, glad to hear you are rolling again.:smileybiker: