Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest johncat68

stall then not start

21 posts in this topic

once got home after a 10 mile run stalled bike while putting away and failed too start and turned over very slowly then just seemed dead, bump started ok and went for a little run on it and come back and let idle for 10 min with lights off and did same again, failed too start, left for an hour and started no probs, had new battery fitted dec. contacted dealer and hope they check out for me , alternator maybe or just a electrical clitch?

John it sounds like the battery is loosing charge whilst the bike is running, which explains the non starting and when left the battery perks up.

It almost sounds like an alternator or voltage regulator problem. :BangHead:

ok cheers for that, still under warranty , so will the dealer have look, failing at know a good sparky at dads work

Well let the dealer look at it first before you let anyone else touch it , The dealer should have the workshop manual and be able to check for readings.

How do your lights perform when the bike is running ?.

when running lights seem too be fine and when rev up not going brighter than are

so guess ok,

when you tried to start it after stalling did the starter solenoid click when the starter button was pressed? could be a poor connection as normally if the battery is dead completely it wont even power the solenoid, but as the man says take it back to the dealer that is why you pay for warranty.

didnt hear any clicking,, left for an hour and stop n start 5 times with no probs

weird

Aye, could be a wiring problem or dirty connection... if not a duff battery.

Earth strap on the engine, clutch switch, kill switch all spring to mind as possible suspects in the case... let the dealer have it when you're on your hols!

'when rev up not going brighter'

The lights are supposed to get brighter when you rev, sounds like the alternator. Listen to me...like I have an idea about what I'm going on about...

lights do go a little bit brighter and clocks too when rev up but not by a lot, seems too be fine today!!

while at work i did power wash bike while it was cold, would normally do it while running, maybe this caused wee upset , god knows!

Daz, you been gettin those books out the library again, dangerous stuff that knowledge, just look at George W bush, he has none and he is just a pussycat, its the clued up ones like Osama that we have to watch. But in fairness you do have a point, i cant recall ever having a battery that miraculously sprung back to life with a full charge after sitting and looking at it for an hour

You mentioned the dreaded power washer!!! :BangHead: you could have got water/moisture in some connector or switch.easy done with power washers. I would disconnect all the connectors around your engine and vulnerable areas and give them a good dowsing with some wd40,then just keep running it till it dries out....Then again, i'm no mechanic so it could be anything. :dontknow:

If all else fails,get the dealer to sort it..Good luck :thumbsup:

its away into the dealer for a week, let know of out come,

Well, fingers crossed then... forget about it whilst you're lying on that beach or even that beeetch!

Where?

Have a good holiday?

on the starter,. battery fine and alternator too,

had great holiday thanks!

Result!! :thumbsup: Just out of interest john,was the loose wire on the starter motor or in the switch in the bars??

oh i dunno , mechanic just said loose wire on starter ,