Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest dickie

odd noises etc..

7 posts in this topic

hi people and happy new year,

the question I have may have cropped up before, but here we go again..

On my X11 with engine running, and clutch pulled in no noise, release clutch and I

get a horrendous noise which sounds like its from the left hand side, according to the w/s

manual there isn't much in there, so anyone got any info on this I have spoken to my local

dealer on this , they reckon its ok, but I honestly have some doubts. The noise is nasty and its putting me off taking the X11 out for a spin.

Anyone help?

Thanks.

I reckon you dont need to worry too much. Mine does it and always has... Pull in the clutch and its sweet and silent. Let the clutch out and you can hear a pretty loud mechanical clattery racket.

Its the clutch plates jiggling about and seems to be pretty normal.

cheers

Trev

:x11red::z_uk2:

Use the x11 starting technique!

• Pull in clutch and hold it in
  • Press starter
  • Pull out "fast idle knob" until 1500 rpm shows
  • Slowly release clutch lever
  • Let engine warm and gradually release fast idle until it will run without the clunking noise.
  • Go out for a ride

They all make this noise on cold starting... some more than others!

The dreaded clutch rattle occurs with all X11s to a greater or lesser extent, but to date no owner has had any clutch failures/problems other than the cold start rattling, take Eddys cold starting advise and it will help, but don't worry about it.

Gentlemen, I thank you for your help, I'll keep on eye on things and see how we

go.

Sorry to add a variant note but it CAN also just be the camchain, or at least aggravated by it. It was on mine at about 50k miles, the tensioners are better than blackbirds but mine caused it to rattle at idle, just the same pulling in clutch etc stopped it, but once I changed the cam tensioner it almost totally stopped anyway.

That said, they do typically make some noise. Camchain noise you would hear also when e.g. you rev it up I expect (e.g. on the overrun)...

If its a rumbling noise your talking about with the clutch engaged the gearbox internals are mulching around in thick cold oil.When disengaged drive is separated from the gearbox and at that point a hell of a lump of engine is dormant thus considerably less noise is produced.All manual gearbox vehicles with a regular type clutch are guilty of this. Just try it in your car or on your mates bike. Its one of those things that yours sounds worse than everyone elses but that really isnt the case..Hope this helps..Steve