Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SPOOKY

Chain noise

8 posts in this topic

Went for a 120m blast sunday but heard a lot of chain noise.Its well lubed the bikes only done 2000m so cant be worn. I would say its a bit on the tight side rather than slack but at low revs and low speed it does sound loud.Any ideas anyone its hard to say what it sounds like but i will try chicchicchic and no i havent got chickens under the seat.:rolleyes:

I used a Renthal front sprocket once - sounded just like you describe no matter how much I adjusted the chain, went back to the Honda one and the noise went....

First thing to do is check chain tension with someone sat on the bike and both wheels on the ground as up on the stand is incorrect, also check rear wheel alignment. As Bryan says I did the same and went back to honda front sprocket.

still got honda cogs on and std chain.:confused:

First thing to do is check chain tension with someone sat on the bike and both wheels on the ground as up on the stand is incorrect, also check rear wheel alignment. As Bryan says I did the same and went back to honda front sprocket.

ok will check this week.

Have you got aftermarket cans on? if so do you have a bump stop fitted to the near side can to stop the centre stand from dragging on the chain? I have a Renthal sprock on the front and it makes more noise than the standard but only in 5th gear at lower speeds, sounds like a landrover tyre on tarmac

Have you got aftermarket cans on? if so do you have a bump stop fitted to the near side can to stop the centre stand from dragging on the chain? I have a Renthal sprock on the front and it makes more noise than the standard but only in 5th gear at lower speeds, sounds like a landrover tyre on tarmac

bump stop fitted but noise was there before i put the cans on.

Try running the chain a little slacker, i do this now and find it better.

Wheel alignment as mentioned by John is another possibility. Make sure it's as perfect as you can get it. Don't allways rely on the chain adjuster guides.:)