Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest raeman

Engine oil

16 posts in this topic

Just been reading some stuff on engine oil and was wondering why a lot of owners use fully synth oil instead of semi synth? :dontknow:

Thought fully synth was only for race/trackbikes? that`s what i`ve allways been told by mechanics and engine tuners.my x has done 13k and i changed the oil and filter about 400miles ago using motul semi synth oil.bike runs spot on,so what mechanical advantage does it have,running it on fully synth?

Just curious thats all :icon_smile:

Probably none really, but I use Rock Oil fully synth as I have always used it in my Blade, and that still runs like new after 26k, so it's in the X11 and it's running great too.

Folk do report that gear changes are smoother using it, but I can't really substantiate that as I don't have a problem with gears.

Pete

Last change i went for Hein Gerricks own brand 10/50 semi synth, cheap as chips and not had a problem in nearly 3K.

Yeah i usually get mine from shorroks in preston.?22 for 5litre motul semi synth and an oil filter. good value!! ;D

Gerrickes oil is Motul apparently badged as their own brand

Fully synthetic oil has higher shear capabilities (more load before it breaks down allowing metal on metal contact) so is idealy suited for race use , it also has cleaning agents that stop the build up of sludge that you get (mostly mineral oils cause this) so all in all ofering better all round protection for your engine.

So I prefere to pay a few pound more and know that I have the best protection avualable by using fully synthetic.

Hi guys,

I assume my bike would have semi synthetic as its been Honda serviced fully. If I wanted to go fully synthetic, would I need a flush?

Cheers

No you don't need to flush to put fully synthetic in , just make sure the fully synth oil is bike specific and that it is suitable for wet clutches.

No, just change it and the filter.

Pete

Thanks chaps. Any advice on which one to go for?

Cheers

Mark

Castrol GPS 4T meets the specifications but so do many others.

My personal favorite brand is `Silkolene` if you check on their website the X is listed and they show a list of their products that they recomend with amounts needed.

Thanks guys....What about Fast Eddys mate Dan. Does he still do the same deal on that Comma? That post is a little way back now so may be outdated.

Cheers

Mark

I use Rock Oil fully Synthetic - have done so for years on all my bikes.

Fookin repeating myself - a sign of age ;D

Pete

Thanks guys....What about Fast Eddys mate Dan. Does he still do the same deal on that Comma? That post is a little way back now so may be outdated.

Cheers

Mark

He's not my mate... I'm just a customer!

Give him a call tho and see... it's good oil and cheap.