Guest raeman

Best chain?

24 posts in this topic

Simple this,just wanna know what the best chain is on the market at mo? loads to choose from and prices vary loads.last one i bought cost around ?80 and i cant remember wot make it was.wot a do know is that despite being well lubed and cleaned regularly its coming to the end of its life after only approx 7000miles!...not gud. is it also best to fit honda sproks?(especially the front for vibration problems?)

Also when the chains been adjusted,do the adjusters on the swingarm have to be screwed in or out tight?or dus it not make any difference? any answers would be great thanx. :BangHead:

Well I would say any of the branded makes are ok make shure its an O_ring chain though , just don't buy cheep unbranded chains .

Buy the best chain you can afford along with good sprockets (Honda front, Renthal rear). I would also change a chain at around the guaranteed mileage - mine snapped (on my Blade) at 15k, despite being meticulously maintained and with minimal visible wear (Regina Gold).

Pete

In answer to your other question the chain adjusters need to be screwed out to tighten the chain and screwed in to make it slack , obviously you wouldn't adjust it then screw them in as when you put the power on it will move your rear wheel (I've known people do just that). However check the chain free play correctly , with the bike on its side stand or even better if you can get someone sitting on it with both wheels on the ground.

Also don't rely on the marks on the adjusters they are OK for quick adjustment but if you want it to be spot on for wheel alignment check with a good straight edge from front to rear.

Thanx x11r, just had a look at those,think i`ll plumb for the d.i.d heavy duty xring chain.good price that methinks. :thumbsup: thanx to all posts,as usual very helpfull :thumbsup:

Just got a new OE chain and sprockets for ?79 David Silver spares

Bargain!

Prices else where were ?120+!

I paid ?120.00 for gold coloured Izumi heavy duty X ring and Renthal sprocks from Slater Motorsports about 6 months ago. Whilst doing the job it is very worthwhile removing all the old grease/road grit from the sprocket cover and chain guide, there is little sense fitting the new chain lubing it and then subjecting it to a polishing with grit.

Bargain!

Thats a proper bargain! not got round to doing mine yet but just wandering if the best one to use would be the genuine chain&sproks? a know the oe sproks are good, so surely the chain must be,else honda wouldn`t use them :dontknow:certainly can`t grumble at that price tho.good old david silver :laugh:

Bargain!

Bought a pair Z6 tyres from eBay for ?155

getting them fitted for ?15 a tyre at a tyre fitter and

he'll put my new chain on for ?20

how's that for a result! :thumbsup:

Chain price is ok, but I get my tyres (BT 021) supplied and fitted (to the bike) for the price you paid (local tyre supplier). Folk often forget the fitting cost when buying from ebay.

Pete

Did a lot of searching on these Z6's and asked locally around for supply and fit,

cheapest I found was over ?250 :doh:

found the cheapest option - by over ?50 - was to buy and fit elsewhere.

with the chain as well (a local Bike Stealer quoted ?65/hr)

Z6's are more expensive anyway, than 021's (but hopefully last me longer).

Hey guys!

Need your advice and opinions pls. :confused:

I have 11000 miles on my X since i bought it, and i think that its time to replace my drive chain.I dont know when the previous owner changed it last time.Today i tryed again to adjust the chain tension but whit no success because it looks too irregular stretched...When ride and accelerate i hear "knock-knock" sound from my left side and i feel on my left footrest how the chain touch the swingarm...

Now im looking for new set of chain and sprockets for my X .Not many options here in Bulgarian stores, so im searching the net to order online.

Need you opinion until Im not so proven which kind X-ring or O-ring to choose?

Your opinion about maker, i found kits from DID,Regina,Triple S...

Finally it would be nice if you share places or site from where i could buy on best price ;)

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers!!!

Svillen

If you fit non Honda front sprocket you will notice more noise due to Honda sprocket having a damping rubber fitted, I have Renthal sprockets front and rear and a Izumi gold chain and i have no complaints in 10,000K, adjusted it once.bought online. Have a look at Wemoto website they are usually quite good, Raeman has just ordered a new chain and sprocks, look at related threads on forum and in forum archive.

Svillen,i would avoid a triple S chain,use proper makers like izumi,renthal,afam,D.I.D ect. As standish mentioned,i have just bought a D.I.D vm x-ring chain and ordered oe honda sprockets.The chain i got was ?127 so not cheap but it should last and (hopefully) cope with my riding style. Fit good quality sprockets like renthal or buy the honda oe ones and you should be ok. Remember though,the x11 even in standard form will wreck a cheap chain in no time (did with mine:doh:) so it's worth buying quality.;)

Thanks for your answers!

@standish honda - you mean you use Izumi X-Ring Gold right ?

...and i wonder about the quality of sporckets in Wemoto site if someone know ? There is no info about the producer or something...

yes i do mean the Izumi gold chain.

Ok , i found local supplier here in Bulgaria . There will be available next week chain kit DID530-ZVM2 X-ring whit JT sprockets for ?142 . I think to order although im not sure about JT quality, but just cant find others around :confused:

Cheers

Svillen

Various people have noted on the forum previously that they have had poor experience with JT sprockets, never used them personally but was swayed away from them when i replaced mine by what i was told by other forum members. They are available everywhere, even one-bay (maybe that says enough about them).

Have you tried David Silver Spares to see how much the shipping costs would be for OE ones

Have you tried David Silver Spares to see how much the shipping costs would be for OE ones

As i can see David Silver Spares do not offer any chain and sprockets for X11 at this time, but i will send enquiry.

Cheers

Svillen

Well Busters Quoted me ?85 for a DID heavy duty gold chain , then get Renthals sprockets from B&C express

Svillen,dave silver do the oe sprocks for x11. I ordered a pair 3weeks ago and still not got them:mad: Have to be ordered in specially is what they told me.

I got the same chain as you from wemoto for ?127.