Guest raeman

VIBRATION!!!!

84 posts in this topic

Ok then, did about 60miles today and the bike felt great. Much smoother on the back end,hardly any vibes in the left peg and when i got home,the chain was ok,not too slack, nowhere near as bad as before. Incidentally,i took the rear wheel to be rebalanced and they found that it needed another 15grams on one side!!.

So new bearings and re-balanced wheel,new chain adjuster bolts,throttle bodies balanced (cheers again pete) and balancer shaft twiddled have done the job it seems.Wahey!!!;D

Thank the Lord for that. Thought it was never going to end!

Thank the Lord for that. Thought it was never going to end!

Aye,me too mate!!:D

Sounds like it's sorted then (fingers crossed!). I think mine needs the throttle bodies balancing, is it an easy job?

I think mine needs the throttle bodies balancing, is it an easy job?

Well it can be time consuming , you will need a Morgan carb tune or vacuum guages and a bit of patience.

Throttle bodies are not difficult to balance on the X11, as quoted you will need a balancing tool. This is connected to all the cylinders if it is a four gauge unit or two if it is a twin gauge via the removable vacum points on the rear of the cylinder block. The engine needs to be fully warmed up to balance it properly, the bodies should be checked at idle then checked on a rising throttle opening (observed as the throttle is opened) up to approx 2500rpm. The trick is to adjust them at idle if they are not balanced then understand the relationship between idle and the open throttle(the idle balance might be ok but they may need an adjustment at 2500 rpm that balances them again), it can be time consuming, There is a big difference in price between proffessional balancing equipment and say a carbtune but they basically do the same job, depending on the degree of acuracy.

Mines only got 6500 miles on it and the vibration is ruining my enjoyment of the bike, I went out yesterday and got some new road attacks fitted as the tyres were a bit old, did 200 miles, and am just getting the feeling back in my right hand 24 hours later. Is it worth changing the grips or trying to insulate the bars somehow? I tried the chain slack but, and it was no different.

Neil :(

You could try it neil. In my case it was allways vibey through the footpegs more than the bars. You mentioned that you recently had new tyres fitted?? It could be worth taking the wheels off and taking them to a different tyre shop to double check the balance. Make sure the rear wheel is balanced with the sprocket carrier in place aswell and check the bearings while the wheels are off.;)

Previous tyres did the same, so I don't think it's that. I will check the chain tension again though

Cheers

Neil