Guest raeman

VIBRATION!!!!

84 posts in this topic

Hopefully it will andrew, however the 5k `tingle` might allways be present,balancing the bodies will help though.:)

Ok then, got new bolts from Mr silver this morn (early delivery for once) and had a fiddle before.Looking at the bolts on my bike, they are identical to the new ones i got and there is no wear, damage,threaded ect on mine. So theoretically,i bought new chain adjuster bolts for nothing and the bike is still the same ie tension chain,go out for ride,do over 50 miles (or 10 last week with pete) and then the chain goes very slack and causes awfull vibration in the left footpeg and right bar.Gearbox also goes very cluncky and the whole bike feels like it's shaking itself to bits.

After having this problem since i've owned the bike (just over 2yrs) and spending ?208 on c&s and double checking absolutely everything,i've now only got 2 options left....have an expensive garage ornament or sell it.None of which i want to do,cos i do love the bike but what would you do??:mad:

Mark, I P.Md you, won't be about till Sunday afternoon, but if you want a second opinion your'e welcome to watch me stand in your garage and scratch my head for a bit, oh and my name is not Jim so i am not gauranteed to fix it for you.:doh:

No worries pete, i've been mauling before and found nothing wrong with anything.:confused:Checked sprocket bolts,front sprocket bolt,every link on the chain,wheel bearings,swingarm bearings and virtually every nut and bolt from the front wheel to the back.(done this 4 times now) Anyway,the chain's nipped up as normal so tomorow i'm gonna take it out for a run and see how it is,experimenting with different throttle positions ie, ride it hard and then stop to check chain ect.:confused:

Hi Mark..heres hoping for a solution soon !!!! Keep us posted

Andrew

Had a peek on the B.I.R.D forum and found a guy who had a similar problem with his blackbird. He was told that after adjusting the chain and taking up the slack,tighten axle nut to torque.Then tighten adjuster bolts out (anti-clockwise). This is something i've been doing all along,i've even tried it the other way turning them in,all to no avail. Took spindle out before and checked it by rolling it for ages on a sheet of glass (used to check them on moto x bikes like this) and even that seems fine and straight.The mystery continues.....:rolleyes:

Mark , Don't turn them in this will allow your chain to go slack if the spindle moves plus wheel alignment problems and while on that subject have you checked the wheel alignment ? with a strait edge from front to back as I wouldnt use the marks on the swing arm for alignment.

Yeah john, i've allways been turning them anti clockwise, Winding them out as you would when adjusting the chain.Turning them in was something i did once as an experiment and did a short run on bike,and your right,it did make the chain slack.Wheel alignment is spot on,checked and double checked this too. I've come up with another idea though....Gonna take the wheels off in the week and take them to a better tyre shop than i've been using.Might be along shot but the balancer weights on the rims could be faulty after i had new tyres fitted about 3months ago.They might need re-balancing or even the tyres might not be seating correctly,causing vibes at speed and loosening the adjuster bolts,which then makes the chain go slack?? I've checked the tyres and they seem ok,but then again i'm no expert. Gonna give her a good run tommorow and see how it is.:rolleyes:

Just a quick thought - have you checked the wheel bearings & sprocket carrier bearing? My TLR had a sprocket carrier bearing go - it ate the chain in no time.

Wheel bearings are ok,never knew about the sprocket carrier bearing.

How is that checked then??

Incidentely,i've had the wheels and tyres checked and there fine...typical.

Ok just located the sprocket carrier bearing thingy. Now i know where it is,i can check it.

Thanks amigo:)

Ok then, had a very interesting chat with a bloke on a blackbird whilst out on the x on sunday.Got chatting about bikes and i mentioned about the trouble i have been having with vibes and chain keep going slack ect...

His advice was to renew the rear wheel bearings and sprocket carrier bearing inc the dust seals, as on his first bbird (which he told me got beat up in a fight with a bus:D) he had this issue and took it back to honda a few times for it to get sorted.Most of the mechanics were lost as to a solution,but luckily one mech guy changed the rear bearings inc sprocket carrier bearing and the bike was fine after this.Apparently,even though there seems to be no play in the bearings when you do checks,there could be very slight wear and the only remedy is renewal. Just had a look on wemoto and you can get a rear wheel bearing kit for the x11...2wheel bearings,dust seals and sprocket carrier bearing for ?21.15. So gonna order these tommorow and try that.;D

Good luck...keep us posted..the saga continues !!

:aargh:

I haven't had a problem with my X11 regarding wheel bearings, but, my TL1000R is VERY sensitive to wear in the bearings.

Hopefully it is a bearing problem, if not at least I haven't cost you too much! My local tyre place checks my bearings for me, and they always balance the rear wheel with the sprocket carrier attached, a lot of places don't. It could be worth asking at your local place if they'll do it for you.

Take it nice and slow replacing them, it's very easy to bugger a bearing up!

Got parcel this morning (very fast delivery from wemoto;)) not oe honda parts but bearings made by kyoto?:confused: Ah well,the sprock bearing was a doddle to do and did have a bit of wear,the wheel bearings however seem to be a challenge.....Basically you can't get a drift bar in to knock the bearings out of either end,the reason being that the bearing spacer runs all the way in the wheel,touching the bearings on the inside,so no means to knock em out.:aargh: Seems i need a bearing puller or take wheel to a dealers and let their mech's have a go at removing/pulling em out (something i really do'nt want to do). On previous bikes,the bearing spacer in the wheels have been easy,having about a 1" gap at either end of the bearing to get a drift bar in. Incidentaly,i've got a haynes blackbird manual and you would think the wheels are the same for both bikes? No mention in the haynes about the spacer going the full length of the wheel for the bird.:rolleyes:

OK Mark here goes , haven't done this in a bike wheel but done it in car gearboxes ,:eek:

1 remove the seals.

2 the balls are usually located by a plastic cage see if you can remove this they usually dig out ? (try not to destroy the cage unless you have no choice)

3 slide all the bearings around to one side.

4 with the bearings around one side the inner race should pop free with a little bit of pressure.

5 remove spacer "check it location In case it only goes in one way"

6 drift out bearing on other side

7 reassemble the bearing you have just disassemble

8 drift out the bearing

9 reinstall new ones "Don't forget the spacer"

Hope this helps ,John

PS If you're not too sure take it to a shop they should only charge 1 hours labour at most its only a 20 min job

Edited by x11r

Yeah,cheers john,was having a look last night and it seems that's the only way,Was trying to find a way not to destroy the old ones if poss,but if there being changed,then it does'nt really matter i suppose.:rolleyes:

Very interesting topic...

Hope that the answer is behind the corner...

Had two bikes at our shop for a service with same kind problems, other one had bad front tyre (Honda Magna 1100) other one was BlackBird that had a bad reartyre. Both of them could be balanced and didnt need much weights, if i remember right, some 25 and 40 grams.

Tyres just wasnt round, when i was rotating them in balancer, the surface ot the tyre was "hopping" about 3 to 5 millimeters, you can balance the tyre but you cant make the un roundnes go away.

There was some fault with the radials of the tyre.

Could happen eaven if the tyre is new, had one Pirelli front tyre that was crap, in a new bike.

Thats true that vibrations can make things got loose, if its bad enough your teeth will drop out...

returned from 100 mile ride today and I thought I might write to Honda and claim for 'white finger:rolleyes:'.

There is a lot of vibration on the bars-is this normal. When stopped at the lights and I pull the brake lever in, I can feel the vibration in my fingers-thought the bike had an ABS system or summit.

My question is are all X11's a bit vibby,

and if so I will be buying some soft sponge handlegrips that I had on me trial bike when I was a lad to soak up the vibration.

There is an issue with vibration at around 5000 rpm, but there isn`t any serious vibration problems at tick over, however if you look back in this thread the engine balencer has been mentioned this could be the root of your problem or even that your injectors need balancing, hope that helps

Keep your money !! cushion grips..NOT solve your problem

Read..ALL THE THREADS

Balance throttle bodies..AND make sure..chain 100%...CORRECT tension.. lubricated...aligned...

AND tyres..correct..pressures..in good condition

Remember..ALL 4 cylinder engines ..vibrate.. X 11 ..at 5000rpm

I have sampled severe numb hand..throttle.. :BangHead:... now gone..no more numb hand

BUT now in hindsight..think chain the MAIN problem..IF NOT correct

Try..ALWAYS buy the best.....easier said than done though..if money tight..ex..wives etc..lol :aargh:

Love the X 11..a beast..rare..and capable machine..for sure !!!!!!

Andrew

returned from 100 mile ride today and I thought I might write to Honda and claim for 'white finger:rolleyes:'.

There is a lot of vibration on the bars-is this normal. When stopped at the lights and I pull the brake lever in, I can feel the vibration in my fingers-thought the bike had an ABS system or summit.

My question is are all X11's a bit vibby,

and if so I will be buying some soft sponge handlegrips that I had on me trial bike when I was a lad to soak up the vibration.

I have had a blade and a zx12r and have travelled miles on them and i aint had this finger tingle sensation vibration anomily

Its not an issue wheras I need to put the bike on adtrader or summit, its just I havent noticed it on an in line four before. Funny enough i dont even get tingle finger on me Honda SP2.

Been talking to my mate who told me to take off me rose tinted glasses as I did get vibration on me blade on the right hand, he did as well on his cbr600.:BangHead:

Well i've just changed rear wheel bearings (managed it eventually) and rear sprocket bearing (doddle to do). Not had time to test yet,as wheel still not on it. Hoping it will solve the slack chain problem.....The 5k tingle aint that bad now.Just ride faster or slower.:D

I must be lucky - no tingles.

But there again, folk are different, and what may be one man's tingles------:D

My mate suffers from tingles on just about any bike (including the X11 he had for about 2 weeks) - strangely enough, he doesn't seem to suffer on V twins.

Pete