Guest raeman

VIBRATION!!!!

84 posts in this topic

Just had a look at wemoto's site,can get a DID or IZUMI chain and sprock kit for ?87.55.Not a bad price but i like the sound of the DID VM X-ring series.These range from ?88 to ?120 just for the chain,then get oe sprocks. Not cheap,but must be done:rolleyes:

Ok then,ordered a DID VMX-ring chain today at ?127 inc p&p and courier costs.Then had to order oe sprockets from dave silver (wemoto don't stock or supply oe sprocks) not cheap tho...?82.36 for front/rear honda jobbies inc p&p and courier costs...Grand total of ?209.36p:eek:

The chain is supposed to be a very heavy duty item and at that price it should bloody last!! As for the sprocks,i wanted the oe front for vibe issues and could have saved a bit had i bought a renthal rear,but time was against me so just ordered the thing.

Hoping that the bad vibes and comical constant chain adjusting will be eradicated with fitting these....if not,then the x might meet the wrong end of a very big hammer!!:mad:

:luck: Fingers crossed then!

Aye,fingers crossed!!:rolleyes: Forgot to mention that dave silver does'nt have oe x11 sprockets in stock so i have to wait 3 bloody weeks for them to arrive...just my luck:mad:

Should have gone to CJ Ball in the sticky thread!

Prolly bloody cheaper too... we get 10% off there!

Got new spanky chain delivered today.Lovely gold and black and very heavy duty!!.Fair play to wemoto,they said monday and it came as said.Good service to them;) Can't wait for the sprocks to arrive now,dying to get em fitted,then i can use the bigX in anger again without having to worry about the bloody chain!!;D;D

Incidently,you can buy the shite chain that i have on` you know where` for ?55,heavy duty x-ring........my arse!!

Edited by raeman

At last, got a parcel this mornin from dave silver spares...yep,sprockets arrived at last (week overdue i might add:mad:) anyway,there on now, mated with the new chain and alls well so far.No time to ride her yet,but will give her a treat maybe wed night.Hopefully,the majority of the vibes will be gone.:rolleyes:;D

At last,managed to get the x out for an hour today, just before it p*ssed down again. First time i've used her since fitting new c&s and can honestly say,it's the best thing i've done yet.Bike was silky smooth,gear changes were quiet and smooth and it felt like a brand new un.And when i got home,the chain was ok,no adjusting needed (something i'm not used to) Still a light tingle at 5k but i can easy live with that.To say i'm pleased is an understatement,it was f*kin fantastic.Still grinning now.yehaaaa!! no more bad vibes!!!!:yahoo:

A result then.

Pete

Oh dear,looks like i spoke (or typed) too soon....It seems my jeckyl and hyde bike is back to it's old tricks again. You can imagine how frustrating this is getting now,first non rainy day for ages and i was looking forward to a good ride out...Started off as usual and bike was ok. Then it seemed every mile i covered,the more the thing vibrated.After 20 miles,i was so pissed off,i felt like throwing the thing on the floor and walking home. Chain was fine yesterday and after a massive 40 miles(wow) of riding,it's still ok.The only thing i can think of doing now are trying to balance the throttle bodies or fiddling with the balancer shaft,both of which i don't think need doing,as it starts and runs sweet. Does anyone know how to balance the bodies?,i can do it with carbed bikes but never tackled fuel inj.:crybaby2:

S'easy, I use a Morgan carb tune to do mine... set them to no.3 which is fixed and use a 7mm socket with your fingers to adjust them. Remove the socket to take a reading or the weight of it buggers it up. Maybe try it with the tick over turned up to about 1800rpm if it's not improving things...

Wonder if you've a coil breaking down under load or with heat or summat... :huh:

Funny you should mention heat...noticed when i got home that the right side can was a lot hotter than the left:confused: never noticed it before.could that possibly be something amiss??

Also noticed (may sound daft) is that the bike runs smoother and is virtually vibe free when it's cold.Wierd:confused:

Edited by raeman

throttle bodies are an easy one if you have a balancer, Which i have, and you can borrow, if you look after it.

Cheers pete,may take you up on that offer.If you've done yours,fancy coming to my house to do mine?;D...Al cross your palm with reddies obviously.;)

i can give it a go for you, might be best on evening,as i know iam working next Sunday, but free most evenings next week, i use a twimax (electronic balancer).

Cheers pete,that's great. I'll pm you and give you some details,phone no,adress etc.I'm only about 2miles from yours.

Incidently,i adjusted the balancer shaft today,turned it anti-clockwise about 1/4 inch then slowly wound it back till the rattle went.Noticed a difference immediatly.Engine felt smoother so i got leathered up and went out for an hour.BIG difference;D,miles better and less vibey.Think if the bodies are balanced now,it will be ok.Still love the thing,had a great blast before;D;D

Well at last, it seems the bad vibe issues have gone.Pete (standish honda) very kindly came to my house today with his box of tricks and balanced the throttle bodies. Although not really bad out of sync,the difference it's made is fantastic,bike is so much smoother at all revs and ticks over nicer.So there we are,new c&s, balancer shaft twiddled and t.b's balanced have made the old girl happy again and running as it should now.;D

Cheers pete,your a top fella.:niceone:

always happy to oblige if i can. I could teach you everthing i know but you would still know f**k all. Really glad you are pleased with the difference. Point to note, Mark's thrott bods were not very far out on idle (that tells you very little) when the valves opened up on load it was seen they were not running truly in synch, an adjustment had to be made to the synch screws to get them balanced on a rising throttle opening up to 2500 rpm, job done, as the man says we rode out for a road test in some rare Lancastrian sunshine and he is vibe free now. Others complaining of the vibes at 5-5.5K might be as well giving it a go synching the throttle bodies.

Well, it seems another problem has cropped up again....slack chain!!. Having took the x out with pete yesterday for a 10mile or so run, the chain was so slack when i got home,only checked it today as i spent all afternoon in the garage minting her up. The chain has only been on now for 2weeks or so and allready i've had to tension it 3 times.Tensioned it before pete came yesterday, and did give it a bit yesterday when out with pete,but never red lined or full throttle anywhere. So loosened the axle nut,and adjusted a bit and tightened it to 110nm (blackbirds are 93nm) and was pulling it so hard,i very nearly tipped the bike off it's main stand. Then i tried to tighten up the 8mm adjusters and realized that the chain side one does'nt want to fully nip-up.It won't stop turning and then pulls the wheel back,making the chain too tight.Got a feeling that the adjusters are knackered esp on the chain side. So that's another thing to do.:BangHead: As you can imagine, it's getting slightly ridiculous now. Surely someone else's bike has issues,or was mine built on a friday??...Help,suggestions?? :mad:

Ok then, just had a look at dave silver's pages and found the chain adjuster bolt only cost ?3 or so each,but what i want to know is....On my adjuster bolts,there is a washer behind the actual chain adjuster body,but looking at new ones from silvers,the bolt seems to have the washer welded or bonded to it. Now i am confused!!:confused:

Edited by raeman

just a theory but the washer is to spread the load on the bolt head so the adjuster doesn't get distorted under tension, DS ones are a modified version with a different head but do the same job.Had a look on Jaws but he doesn't have any listed.

Thanks for having a look on jaw's page pete, maybe the different ones from DS are a modified version and might be better??:confused: Anyway, i'm gonna order 2 new bolts and chain adj bodies tommorow to make sure,cos they might have been modified too. More money to throw at it then...great.:aargh:

could be worse it could be a shaft drive with lots of leaky seals.

Aye, true. Could allways be worse i suppose.:rolleyes: Never fear,al get there in the end.:D

"Splashed" out on a Morgan carb tune kit....?52.00

So hopefully at weekend... with tools in my hand....will finally get rid of that 5k vibration in bars

Keep you all posted :idea1:

Andrew

PS..Several good YOU TUBE..clips available..balance throttle bodies / carbs.