Guest raeman

VIBRATION!!!!

84 posts in this topic

Driving me mad this vibe-5000rpm exactly and it dus it.makes mi fingers go numb.checked all i can think.could it be chain or sprok related?happens if chain slack or tight.would adjusting the balancer shaft help?bike is perfect in all other aspects.help please.

Mine does that too, aftermarket front sprocket fitted

Seams to be a common thing Ive found it improves if you leave the chain slack rather than tight , could be harmonics

....... could be harmonics

Nah, that's the mp3's coming through your Garmin!

Cheers lads,think al change the sproks and chain.if that dunt sort it then f**kit,just put up weeit.

Nah' date=' that's the mp3's coming through your Garmin!

[/quote']

And you say i`m the missing chuckle brother

I have found that one solution is not driving at 5000 rpm. Just go faster...

Seriously, I believe they all tingle a bit around 5k, which is a quite common rpm to be at if just humming along. A bit better if the chains a little slack, an original front sprocket helps (thats what I use anyway).

Funnily, I never seem to notice the vibes if it's doing 6500 in top... wonder why... :)

-D.

Thanx dwr. dus put my mind at rest a bit tho,knowing that its quite a common thing.gonna junk the chain & sproks soon and get new uns.al get genuine onda sproks,see if that helps. :thumbsup:

You could always ride through it , na I've had the original chain & sprocks , DID chain with Renthal sprocks , now gone back to original front sprocket and still not much better so I reckon its something we will have to live with ,

I even complained to the dealer when I got the bike new as it seamed to be worse when two up , they checked it through and said all was fine , so from then on just ran the chain a bit slacker than recomended.

Funny you should mention that, mine seems worse when 2up.usually only me on it tho so not really a problem i suppose.just ad some bt020`s fitted and its a lot smoother wi fresh rubber!! thanx again :icon_smile:

Am I right in thinking that the original front sprocket has a rubber insert thingy washer type of wotsit on the outer face that acts as cush drive? The aftermarket kits dont have these and I noticed it immediately when I changed my chain/sprockets. If you have money to burn you could always buy a decent kit off ebay or somewhere but get an original front from somewhere like David Silver. Just a thought. I have them occasionally you know :doh:

Strange this but here goes...was out on the x today and went about 40 miles up the m6.The bike was running great with the usual tingle at 5k but no probs.Coming back however,the thing started vibrating really bad coming mostly from the left peg.Also the bike felt lumpy and rough when revving over 6k,but a bit smoother at 7k.As an experiment i slowed down to 60 and it was perfect,so sped up to 80 and it started again just as bad.Next thing i did was to pull the clutch in at 80 and coast for a few seconds and the vibes went away completly:confused: Did about 150miles eventually and it stayed the same all day,running rough and vibey.:aargh: Anyone else had this prob? I'm getting worried that it's something serious on its way out.Have to fettle tommorow. ps. another wierd thing which i noticed this morning is that when the bikes cold,the gear changes and engine are silky smooth,but after a few miles it starts playing up.Bloody thing!!:aargh:Wierd eh?

It could be that the engine balancer needs adjusting, also check the slack in the chain that can sometimes give the same feeling if it`s too slack this would also make gear changes clunky. I have noticed that some days engines on bikes can feel really rough and sometimes not and there never be a reason.... now that is weird.

Balancer shaft is an easy fix, my sprocks and chain are Renthal and other than the wining noise from the front i don't get any vibes, other possibilities are non original bar ends giving a resonant frequency at 5K through the bars or one of the throttle bodies is out of balance.

Not had chance to look at it yet,I'm suspecting it's chain or sprok related or could be a wheel bearing going out. Balancer shaft, i take it it's adjusted whilst the bikes running? how do i know when it's ok though? Never touched it before. So basically,how do you adjust the ballancer shaft??

Edited by raeman
spelling mistake

Off side of the bike, engine casing just above the sump there is a shaft coming through the casing, it has a clamp fitted to stop it rotating. With the engine warmed up loosen the clamp bolt enough to be able to rotate the shaft with a flat bladed screwdriver. Rotate the shaft until a wining noise can be heard, back the shaft off until the noise stops. Retighten the clamp and that it, dont expect dramatic results though

All as Standish has said, except... do it when the engine is cold, or it'll be too tight next time you start it!

Ok,nice one fellas.:thumbsup:

I stand corrected, apologies for duff info on hot/cold adjustment it has been a while and i didnt have th'manual to hand.

Ok,had a look before and it seems it's the usual.....chain too bloody slack!!!:aargh: Checked the front sprocket for tightness or wear or anything else and it's fine as is the rear sprocket,checked swingarm for play and that's ok,checked rear wheel bearings and there ok. This chain business is really p*ssing me off now,i can adjust the thing and i can do 50 miles of hard or gentle riding and the chain needs adjusting again,resulting in awfull vibes from the front sprocket. Iv'e even spoke to bbird owners and they don't seem to have these issues. The chain itself is an heavy duty triple `s`type. and seems fine. I've tightened the rear wheel to torque settings and then much more,makes no odds tho. Anybody got suggestions for a very pissed off x owner??:(

You usualy get the vibes when the chain is too tight... but as for stretching, new chains tend to do this for a while before they settle down, maybe it's just that?

Make sure someone is sat on the bike when you check the slack, it helps if they are a similar weight to you. Do it before a ride, when it's cold, not after!

After you adjust it make sure you are tightening the spindle nut to the proper torque. I also tend to just tighten the two chain adjusters up a bit after doing the spindle nut... just to keep a bit of pressure on, like.

Good luck...

Perhaps it's the make of chain you have - mine is still on the original (12k) and hardly needs adjusting. I know some do stretch quite badly.

Pete

I had a triple S shain on mine will never buy another.It streched every time I rode it,also caused bad vibes. when I checked the chain fully I found one of the rollers was broken.

Thanx for the replies guys,but i think bob's hit the nail....crap chain,can't be anything else. Even tho the sprocks are in good nick,i'm gonna replace the whole lot. Gonna sort it and get new oe kit.Hopefully,that should cure it:rolleyes:......hopefully;)

I have a Tsubaki chain with renthals, never had a problem like that, front sprocket has that constant whine about it but in 4K it has been good as gold and little wear. Mark, i got Les to fit mine at La Moto, charged me ?25, it was cheaper than buying a link splitter and socket for the sprocket, as it's not something i will use often seems like a waste having one (bit like all the other junk i already have).