Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest PACIFIC405

Power commanders??????

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any one of the 400+ members has installed a power commander to their X11?

If so, what is your opinion on it, was it worth the money, were you blown away by how much better your bike ran both in terms of smoothness and extra power?

I would also like to hear from anyone who is against the idea, apart from the cost to purchase in the first place, is anyone of the opinion that they are no good, just a gimmick. or maybe they have an adverse effect on the existing engine mapping system?

I dont know what to think, but if Im to be taken in by the adverts for it, it seems quite a good addition to the bike, albeit on the expensive side!!

cheers

Dave d'c

if they were cheaper i would consider it, but it isnt just the PC. to set it up properly needs dyno time, just putting a stock map into it won't really achieve the best resuts from it, and if iam paying that much iwant the max out of it.Also it only comes into being a real benefit if the exhaust is replaced with a free flowing system. I have a half cooked theory that the B'bird one will fit the X11 with an X11 map loaded onto it, but at that price iam not going to take the chance.

I fitted a power commander a couple of years ago. It is quite easy to fit, but don't be tempted to use their crap crimp connections - solder them (you have been warned - caused my only breakdown on my X11).

I had twin remus cans fitted and with a downloaded map I got 128rwhp on the dyno. This improved to 132 with a custom map. The bike certainly was a lot quicker, and mid range in particular was improved. The next year I fitted a full Micron system 4-2-1 and with another custom map (done free) I got 143 rwhp - a huge increase. I personally wouldn't bother if bike was as standard, or with just a pair of cans, but I think it is essential to get the best out a full system. Cost - around

When my bike was Dynoed last at PDQ's, I asked about having a Power Commander fitted. The guy said that the Dyno run showed no issues with power or fueling, so to spend out a few hundred quid to gain maybe a couple of extra horses, would in his opinion be a waste of money. Pretty honest I thought. Hence, I have no Power Commander. :)

looking at my last power run on a dyno my fuelling is running weak until 50mph, then there is a slight trough at 75mph otherwise it runs 13.5, this is reflected in the power curve but not sufficient to be noticed while riding, the power is developed as per the standard bike as a good steady line upto 140mph. The fuel module i should be able to flatten these out with dyno time. Does the PC adjust the ignition timing too? that is probably where the biggest advantage would be.then it would still be cheaper to go down the advancer route.

I have PowerCommander waiting that i have time to install it, allso that new LCD display where you can put different "maps". You can change them while driving, in my dyno paper you can see that those curves could be straighter, good curves thou.

X-11Dynorun001.jpg

Well , I had a full Acro system with no other mods on my X from virtually new and it showed 143rwhp at 3.5k its now done 19k and has a K & N fitted witch I think improved the fueling , and now Ive cut 200mm off the exhaust can and reduced the rear sprocket to 40t (cbr wheel n stuff) and it pulls and wants to rev like a two stroke , so this year I am hoping to get it back on the Dyno and see how things are , hopefully improved , had a chat with the lads at the local Dyno center and they said to be honest lets see how she runs first and if it fuels good don't bother with a power commander as its wasted money.

Here's a couple of graphs - first is with the remus cans and then pc3 mapped, and second is the comparison from this to the full system.

Pete

X11DynoRunremus.jpg

X11DynoRunMicron.jpg

Guys, thanks for the replies, I think im just gonna keep the bike as stock for the time being. and save!!!!!!!!!

regards

Dave