Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Amigo

Fork question

28 posts in this topic

This has probably been covered before, but I'm feeling lazy and not using the search button!

The fork legs aren't far off shot on my X (MOT advisory last year), I know Wemoto do them, but they're

I think the BB forks are slightly different at the top not sure about the yokes, I got new fork tubes last year it was a little expensive when you add in all the extras but it was worth it to know i got the right ones for my bike. Then again i fancy upside downies now lol

Upside downies would be nice, a small matter of cash and fitting them!

Looking on wemoto, the blackbird forktubes are 20mm longer than X one's, just a case of dropping them thru' the yokes?

I see no reason the replace the forks as any part of them is serviceable. Out of interest I reckon I'm gona respray my fork legs, well the bits that are pitted, anyone got an idea what colour silver the paint is?

OK this sounds cheep but it works , if its your stanchions that are pitted you can rub the pitting down with wet & dry then fill the holes with a tiny amount of araldite , then rub down again when hard , if the seals are gone then they will need replacing.

OK this sounds cheep but it works , if its your stanchions that are pitted you can rub the pitting down with wet & dry then fill the holes with a tiny amount of araldite , then rub down again when hard , if the seals are gone then they will need replacing.

Yep, then when all smooth you can spray them with some "AutoGlym Silver Wheel Paint".

Brilliant paint which lasts for years. Last can i got cost me

Yep, then when all smooth you can spray them with some "AutoGlym Silver Wheel Paint".

Brilliant paint which lasts for years. Last can i got cost me

:doh:Silly me, sorry Amigo.lol.:D

It's the 'slidey bits' that are knackered! They work fine & the seals don't leak, it's just that the stantions have some pitting/rust. The advisory, if I remember correctly was something about corrosion.

The MOT isn't due 'til May, so I've got time to sort them out. It's just that the blackbird forks & yokes came up and I thought of saving some cash and time!

you would have to find an alternative set of bars as well due to the X11 bars fixing into the top of the forks were the adjusters are on the flirty bird forks, so gets a bit more costly.

Aye, pretty sure the mudguard mounts are different too...

It's the 'slidey bits' that are knackered! They work fine & the seals don't leak, it's just that the stantions have some pitting/rust. The advisory, if I remember correctly was something about corrosion.

The MOT isn't due 'til May, so I've got time to sort them out. It's just that the blackbird forks & yokes came up and I thought of saving some cash and time!

Just take them off and have them powder coated, or spray them. It'll be miles cheaper than buying replacements plus the finish will last longer.

If you can't separate the stantions from the legs, take it to a decent bike shop. Any mechanic will strip them for you and rebuild them after painting,coating ect..even this shouldn't cost that much.

If you did buy those bbird forks, you will have to buy a bbird mudgaurd aswell. Eddy mentioned it and he's right, the mounts are totally different.:)

Thanks lads, replacements seem to be the order of the day.

Don't think I've explained it too well - it's the legs that are knackered (the bits that clamp in the yokes), the bottoms could do with a paint, but that can wait until they come apart.

Ah, so it's the stantions then.

Do what x11r says. Easy fix.;)

If I've remember corectly Chris "fe5ta" got some pattern ones for a reasonable price but not sure where from.

Wire wool on fork lowers and spray with Simonize 5 Wheel Silver. Cheap to buy lasts well and looks really good if done properly and not rushed ..... Steve

As for the stanchions round about

Hi guys,

Some "experts" telling me than I should change the forks because they are poor for the X11 and that's why my bike is unstable at the corners.

They mention to buy some ohlins or marzocchi forks and forget the original ones.

What do you think about?

Look at the big picture , this will involve changing yokes brakes etc , its not a track bike ! , I improved mine by putting 500ml of 10w synthetic fork oil in each leg.

Look at the big picture , this will involve changing yokes brakes etc , its not a track bike ! , I improved mine by putting 500ml of 10w synthetic fork oil in each leg.

do you mean: putting the recommended quantity and 500 ml more for each?

No , I drained the original oil and put 500 ml in each , the standard weight Oil I believe is 2.5w so 10w will stiffen the forks up without making them too stiff , It really does make a big improvement.

Thanks x11r,

I'll try it. ;)

hi you should,nt have a prob with BB forks. Ive got the lot. complete front end goes straight in with no stability probs at all. just drop them through the top yolk a bit and fit some raisers and fat boy bars.work and look really good. if you can get the lot its deffo the cheaper option. i think its 2000 on the front and alot of other bits are the compatable. BB to X11.

Aye, pretty sure the mudguard mounts are different too...

I was under the same assumtion, you can get a nice carbon mudguard for slack tart but not found one for X yet. :mad: