Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alburrows

Noisy top gear.

10 posts in this topic

Is it just my bike or is there anybody else with an an abnorrmally loud "bearing type" noise when in top gear?

Bike is fine and quiet in all other gears but when put into top gear it sounds like a gearbox bearing or a damaged gear in gearbox. The more I ride it the more I am sure it shouldn't be like this.

Would have thought that a gearbox bearing would have shown up in other gears and not just top, as there are only 2 bearings per gear shaft so thinking that it may be a damaged cog or syncro.

Have only bought the bike 3 months ago with 12000 miles on it, so not a high miler, but don't know too much about the history before me.

Any other suggestions before i get ready for a gearbox strip over the winter?

Cheers.

Check your chain tension it should be done with the bike on the side stand, or preferably get someone to check it while your sat on it.

If it is adjusted on the main stand it will be too tight when riding, this could cause the noise.

Thanks x11r, was the first thing i checked after buying the bike, and was too tight when i got the bike, but now adjusted correctly, thats what made me think the output shaft bearing may be the culprit but then if that was the case it should be noisy in all gears and not just top.

checked back the old forum and somebody else had a noisy box in 4th and 5th gears but they never posted back if they found out what the problem or cure was, so sort of trying to eliminate things here.

Didn't want to start and strip gearbox if it may have been something else that a member of the club had encountered before.

Go for MOT tomorrow morning anyway and weather starting to turn bad so will be considering the stripdown and a few mods over winter layup anyway. but a lot of work which maybe for nothing if it was something else...

Cheers.

Alistair.

Previous owners not put an aftermarket front sprocket on by chance?

Some of those make a racket...

A 6 speed blackbird gearshaft sounds a good move if you do strip it!

Course it just be the old sprocket whine... ?? (non-honda front sprocket).

Unusual for those bearings to fail in any bike, they are damn tough...

br

D.

worth a look eddy and dwr,

is the sprocket easily identified if a different one from a honda item has been fitted?

i read in another post that you stated an aftermarket ft sprocket you had fitted was a lot noisier than standard but is that only in top gear or during all gears since the transmission is always engaged?

would be surprised myself if it was bearings but there is something abnormal here and it annoys me to the point of distraction, don't like it when things aren't like they should be mechanically wise.

went through mot this morning ok, must admit i do keep looking for a 6th gear... :)

you never know may just tackle it ..

cheers.

Alistair the genuine front sprocket will have rubber bonded to either side of it.

A pattern one will be plain steel.

cheers mate, will have a look over weekend. thanks.

mine had renthal sprocks fitted about 6 months ago,top does wine. Sounds like the noise land rover tyres make, it is ok in all other gears.

cheers standish, sounds like mine,

haven't had time to check the fitted ft. sprocket yet but will get a look on sunday and report back,

better to reply with a remedy in case anybody else comes up with the same problem at some point.