AK1011

Fork Rechroming

5 posts in this topic

Hey All

So I bought my X11 with leaking forks. I had changed the seals and they still piss out oil all over the front of the bike. I had hoped that pitting on the stanchions weren't low enough to affect the seals but they were.

I now need to either rechrome or buy new stanchions. 

Can anyone recommend some places who can do it for a low price? I'm seeing prices around £200 but have heard from some old school bikers about how they used to have them done for £30 a few years ago. I'm wondering if this is still possible or is £200 the going rate nowadays. 

Any other recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I would ask local clubs or look at classic mags for rating, but first may be worth asking on here if anyone swap front end and have good spare set? Around Manchester the price for pair of forks hard coat is about £150

Fork legs are £212 each new , where Philpotts do hard re-chroming and grinding back to size for £240 a pair, it used to be cheep but with health and safety gone mad their costs are probably higher , they would then probably last longer than the original honda chrome.

Edited by x11r
Missing info

been ringing round

found a guy in mansfield who'll do it for 150

and a few people/companies who'll do it for 180

philpots said 240

cheapest new i can find is 150ish for each stanchion from europe (ignoring the 150 for a pair from China option)

i currently thinking i might just do the old super glue trick on the current set. I also have a spare set of forks which are much worse, i might have those rechromed once i have a bit of spare cash.

And eventually put the rechromed set on.

Sounds Like a plan , I've used araldite before but you have to leave it a day to harden then sand it back.