MJC X-11

Fluid Leak + Hot/Smoking/Loud Exhaust

26 posts in this topic

Hi all, I’m asking for some help please. I own a 2001 X-11 with just under 30k miles on the clock, no mods.

I noticed something was wrong coming home from a ride a few weeks ago, exhaust sounded different, a few extra vibrations, stalled twice at a standstill. Upon inspection, there appeared to be some dark fluid leaking, looked a bit like oil settling low down on the left side of the bike near the gear shifter, catching the side stand.

I had the vacuum hoses replaced, they were quite perished. However, riding home the sound was even worse, almost like an aftermarket exhaust. Once I got home the exhaust was so hot that it was smoking and the metal (thinner pieces connecting to the end cans) has discoloured like that iridescent rainbow effect.

Has anyone had an experience like this, where should I start looking for the problem? My mechanical knowledge/experience is quite poor but I love this bike and I’m willing to learn if it keeps this beauty on the road.

I’ll try and upload some pics and share the link here if possible. Many thanks for your help with this.

That looks like a possible water pump/seal failure , I would say you have over heated , Have you checked the coolant level ?

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I have checked the oil and coolant levels, both were okay. I was surprised last time I used it that although the temperature gauge needle looked fine, the fan hadn’t kicked in, especially at the end.

The fluid seeping out is a dark, slightly yellowish colour, I thought probably oil. I’ve known for a while that the fuel pressure regulator is in its twilight years, do you think that could be a factor?

Its good that coolant & oil levels are ok , I would now check you fuel system through , the hot exhaust and the running rough could be a sign of running week so fuel pressure could be a factor , it could also need a fuel filter, now looking back at your photo's the wet area around the sidestand mount could be due to chain lube .

I wish there were some more videos on YouTube or something of people dismantling X-11s to perform these kind of tasks, I guess quite a lot can be carried over from Blackbirds which is handy. I’m a little scared to try doing much myself, I once destroyed an original Nintendo 3DS trying to replace a screen! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

To start with have you got a workshop Manual , if not why not donate to the forum then you can download a copy.

I do have a digital manual thanks to my brother a few years ago as a birthday present. I can’t spare much but I’m happy to try donating to the site to support it, I’m very grateful such a place exists for owners of these great bikes. 

On another note , Have you jet washed your X at all ?.

No I haven’t but the bike does look a little dirty and in need of it to be honest, especially the hard to reach areas. It’s a little rusty and showing it’s age a bit, especially around all the fixtures and fittings, I just need to devote more time and effort to actually tackling these things. Do you recommend using a pressure washer or are they too powerful/damaging?

Well I only ask because pressure washing them especialy over the top of the petrol tank can force water into the tank , My lad did it on mine a couple of years ago when he offered to clean it for me , and I know of someone else who had it happen , The water just mixes with the ethanol in the fuel and causes a whole bag of running problems , mainly misfiring under load and poor running etc !

Have you any Fi lights flashing ?

Hmm I can’t quite remember what the Fi light was doing now I think about it. I’ll start her up tomorrow I think, see what happens and report back.

Right, started it up, let her idle a bit, drove around a few times. No smoke this time, exhaust was very smelly/rich and sounded resonant with some popping. Fi light only came on at the start like normal. I definitely think it would be worth changing the fuel pressure regulator although it doesn’t explain the presence of the oily substance. What are your thoughts please?

Looking at price of the reg. is it not worth having  a mechanic having a quick look (noticed that there £60 difference between X11 and b/b regs.) wonder if  someone fitted the wrong one . Eg one of a B/B from a breakers ? oily substance needs to be cleaned of with solvent so you can see any leaks get as clean as possible eg tooth brush and cotton buds . leave chain lub off why you check it 

Edited by blueboy

Thanks, some good points though I’m not convinced the FPR is the main culprit at the minute. I drove 8 miles to a mechanic for a free chat, he thinks the exhaust wadding was burnt thus louder exhaust but why it was so hot in the 1st place, not sure. Engine temp is fine, within normal range, exhaust no longer smoking but definitely hot and smelly, poorly combusted petrol hot smell. Something felt a bit lumpy letting the clutch out and adding throttle.

I’m really grateful for your help, please keep the suggestions coming!

Maybe the cats are a bit blocked?

Try cleaning/replacing the lambda sensor.

Good pointers, I’ll look into both. Thanks for all your help!

Just an idea ...has it ever backfired through the injectors? ......might explain the fluid at the back of the cylinders (oil from engine breather scavenge)

On 16/08/2021 at 17:29, x11r said:

Well I only ask because pressure washing them especialy over the top of the petrol tank can force water into the tank , My lad did it on mine a couple of years ago when he offered to clean it for me , and I know of someone else who had it happen , The water just mixes with the ethanol in the fuel and causes a whole bag of running problems , mainly misfiring under load and poor running etc !

I'm thinking the same .....maybe crap fuel from the petrol pump?

The hot exhaust .... is it just at the silencers? Could be unburnt fuel from poor detonation caused by fuel contamination...or maybe even an injector messing up

Just a couple links when I was sorting my FPR issue.  I guarantee scouring the forum will yield better understanding than just asking whoever is around.  I'd also had the same query over Blackbird parts, worth checking out.
My FPR caused a host of rough-running issues over a week before failing completely with fuel in the vacuum hose (so by-passed the diaphram).  Cheap part, easy to replace.

However your central issue could be injectors.  I had one stuck open and fill my sump with fuel - yay :) Engine still ran, pretty rough.  It would explain the juice flowing out of the overflow pipes - well they're supposed to be breather tubes!  If this is the case (check for too much fluid and smell of fuel and possibly evaporating haze visbile on a hot day from the engine oil filler cap).  Injector stuck open can be caused by aged fuel that has formed 'nescafe' dark particles that are sticky and gunk up the injectors.  As above the injectors are easy enough to work on, cleaned mine with a few bits of tubing from B&Q, some IPA, huff & puff and 12V to actuate the injector.  If you do discover a stuck injector and you've got fuel in the oil, be aware the likely damage to grippy bits on the clutch plates.

Edit

The FPR not working within spec (i.e. basically functioning) will cause lower fuel rail pressure, this mean the fuel coming through the injectors into the combustion chamber is less atomised.  This makes it harder for fuel to be properly combusted and may be expelled as very hot fuel rich gas.

Edited by Michael

On 26/08/2021 at 14:26, Michael said:

Just a couple links when I was sorting my FPR issue.  I guarantee scouring the forum will yield better understanding than just asking whoever is around.

Many thanks for sharing those links, I did search around a bit first before posting but in terms of fault-finding, I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for to be honest. Very interesting to read about your FPR issue as I believe that is the main culprit for mine also. It’s been smelly and delivered very poor mpg for a while now so I think the component has been on the way out for some time. I’d like to keep it as stock as possible so was thinking of original X-11 parts but can you recommend the later Blackbird one based on your experience?

Another thought the fact you have very poor MPG its possible your FPR diaphragm has split and you have neat fuel being sucked into one of the inlet tracts , so as it happens Iv'e just purchased a new FPR from Fowlers , the reason being mine is likely to fail at some point ! then Wayne contacted me and said he'd been reading the BB forum and the FPR for the 2002/3 onwards BB runs at 50psi where as ours is 43psi , the 50psi one smooths out low speed running due to better fuel atomisation and I would think better MPG , so I've sent the X11 FPR back and going to order the BB one , Part no for X11 one is 16740-MAT-E02 at £131.95 and the BB part no is 16740-MAT-E22 at £77.81 so is cheeper , David Silver spares list it at £75.77 but you would have to wait a week and pay postage , Fowlers have them in stock and are free delivery on orders over £50.

good find  thanks for sharing 

That sounds great x11r, please let us know how you get on with it, sounds like a potentially good little upgrade!