alphauk101

E10 Fuel

14 posts in this topic

Hi, all I'm new.. Got myself a very nice example of a 2001 X11 with 20k miles... very happy, I will post some pics soon.

Quick question which I can't find the answer to, is the X11 ok with the new E10 fuel? I've had a look round and the dates are a bit borderline, seems 2000+- was around the time that the vehicles became compatible.

Thanks, Lee.

Yes it OK with E10 petrol (check with GOV. E10 website) 1 question are you called lee or from Leigh ?

Should be ok as long the bike isnt sat around for too long?

Ethanol attracts water and if its sat around the water could attack the steel inside the tank. At least thats what I'm thinking.

For those worried about ethanol

lB3C Ethanol Shield Fuel Stabiliser 118ml £7.98 from Tool Station

:)

As always Wayne you are a fountain of knowledge would never have thought of looking in tool station .

:)

& theres more.

nice one Wayne, very useful info.

would it not be easily to use top grade petrol eg ULTIMATUM or the like I know its a rip off but you using all you pay for ?

FUEL FLEX do a treatment for E10 that is about £12 a bottle but does twice as much as the tool station treatment . you pay your money and made you choice ?

Use Shell Optimax, kinda like Lidl Meaty Rat Chunks vs Sheba, she purrs and I feel good.

Heard on a YT video, the real E10 issue with ethanol + accumulated water is phase separation, incompetence / eco agenda your choice.  Not buying into fuel additives, apart from having finished fannying about during my two-stroke days, E10 has twice as much bio fuel - so has the formulation changed or just the label.  Without looking at all the products, I'd wonder if anything actually address the phase change issue.  It's worth noting that the video I linked to explains it from the perspective of the station, but the same process occurs at a smaller scale in the tank.  So screw fuel economy, the problem is that the engine has a water rich mixture lubricating it on startup.  As I'm writing this, wondering if the action of the fuel pump startup prime is enough to circulate around some proper jungle juice... probably; still leaves a water rich mixture rusting the bottom of the tank, but being below the petrol no air - so maybe not so much of an issue... arghhhh.

yes I would always use Optimax or similar but some stations are not selling anything but E10 now ( ASDA) so may need additives  and for price I will carry top up and chain lub to be sure .

Filled the X11 with super unleaded ( use to be unleaded but now can't seem to find old super) worked out I paid £7-50 pence a gallon , I first got a road bike in  !971 I paid 7shilling and 6 pennies  a gallon . These were the good old days