Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fast_eddy

Battery Tips - Sealed Lead Acid Type.

3 posts in this topic

I was tired of buying expensive batteries every year!

Well read on to see what I did about it!

ESSENTIALS

EYE PROTECTION!!!! You must wear goggles or protective glasses! You are dealing with ACID and you can't replace your eyes!
Small jewellers screwdriver, or similar tool.
Larger Screwdriver, or similar tool.
Hypodermic Syringe 25/50 ml - cheap on Amazon/the bay or free in the Park bogs (only kidding)!
Mechanics Gloves - did I mention that you're dealing with ACID?
Distilled Water - cheap on Amazon/the bay or free, if you chop off a chunk of the ice that forms in your freezer. (Filter out any frozen peas)!

Grab your battery from your machine and place on a sturdy workbench, not your best dining table or kitchen worktop!

Look at the top of the battery and it'll probably look something like this one.

1.jpg

Notice the "do not open" command? Well, that's the exact thing that I'm ignoring.
That "warning label" is actually the cover over the "cells" that we need to expose.
Notice I have begun gently prying at it with my small, flat bladed, screwdriver?

Continue the prying process until you can insert a larger prying device (ooerr missus).

2.jpg

At this point, you can carefully continue the process by hand. Do not allow the cap to "flick" about. Did I mention your battery contains ACID? This is the most dangerous time of the operation!

Continue until the cover is removed and you can view all the cells.

3.jpg

Once all the cells are exposed, we can begin the filling process. Using your syringe full of distilled water.

4.jpg

Ever so GENTLY fill each cell, until you can just see the liquid covering the "plates" inside each cell. You have to peer in with a torch.

Do not overfill, the liquid expands when being charged as it gets warm!

Put your battery on charge and suction up any expansion with your syringe. Careful, this is now ACID.

Carefully replace the cap over the cells. Clean the battery terminals with a wire brush and replace it into your machine.

Other batteries may have different, but similar, cell cover arrangements. Using circular plastic caps or rubber plugs.

Here's a couple of 6v batteries from an alarm system as an example.

5.jpg

I do this every year or so with my batteries. They last for years, just like they did in the old days before we became oh so green, the wank*rs!

This is not a tutorial, I'm just sharing what I do. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!

I will be trying this tip Thanks Eddy

I do this, but I also have a supply of sulphuric acid, just to spice things up a bit. :hyper: