Gaz

Oil Sump

7 posts in this topic

Replacement sump to go but do I need a seal or gasket when fitting.

Hello Gaz

Section 4-6 of the workshop manual..."Clean the oil pan mating surface thoroughly. Apply Three Bond 1207B or an equivalent to the mating surface"

Good luck.

Loctite 510 gasket eliminator is pretty good stuff ,

Thanks both. i have had the sump repaired, but sheered two exhaust bolts while removing the exhaust to get the sump off. Bolts drilled out and bike to go back together today after using loctite 510. Fingers crossed. The job has been a real pain due to rust setting in on the exposed bolts etc........

Hope you're on the road soon! I've ummd and aahed about replacing the exhaust system but the potential nightmare of seized header bolts has always ended up putting me off...I'm just a mechanical coward though! 

Should have used WD40 before attempting bolt removal. The first couple of bolts released easily, but two were stuck and the head of the bolt (well the nut) just snapped clean off. But, all done now although the radiator needed removing to allow clear access to the knackered bolts. So, in summary, a welded sump, two new header bolts, new oil, filter, coolant......and fingers crossed for a sunny and warmer weekend!

Well done Gaz, now go and enjoy your work.