Johnvtr2001y

Harsh rear end

9 posts in this topic

Evening all about to renew a lot of parts on my 41000 mile x11 .My question is I'm going to renew the lower shock mount needle bearing but will I need to renew the swing arm bearings by this mileage, do they generally last a lot more than 41000 ,Doing all this and a lot more because I put her up for sale and couldn't let her go this one's got under my skin .Any advice apriciated thanks.

Change it and you will be safe

By that you mean the lower shock mount bearing cheers

the swing bearing should be good but once you have the shock undone just check for any float or tightness. its not always the mileage but can be if it been on salty roads or even in water pass the pivot point etc. 

Thanks very much for advice blueboy I was going to strip it all apart but if I could do the check you suggested all should be good . Waiting for the parts to come yet from wemoto so be a week or two .

Consider a new Shock , Ive had a nitron rear shock in for the last 4 years as has Wayne and it makes an unbelievable difference the ride is so much softer and lush but always planted , just a couple of clicks on the damper adjuster converts it from solo riding to fully loaded with luggage , and it is way more stable !!  

Cheers for the advice i might look at nitron but i dont know if i can stretch to £450 pounds yet just spent £300 on parts .

I'd go for a Wilbers...even the model with only spring preload adjustment is good...but they really are superb shocks....

Just finished doing swing arm bearings and lower shock mount bearing,Wow she has movement now ,What I did find is that now I've renewed bearings especially lower shock one I've gained around 10mm end float from rear of swing arm, looks like I have a bit of play in the shock top bush must of been transmitting all the thrust to the bush as the needle roller on the bottom was knackered, Spoke to my mot tester he said this would be fine ,cheers for a great site now just waiting for my hagon springs to come hopefully install next week ride safe.