Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barbelblanker

What do I need to look out for and how?

4 posts in this topic

OK first questions.

Chain tension? Lots of different views on here. I weigh around sixteen stone (give or take a few pound). Having had a chain jump off the sprocket (CB250RS, didn't check often enough), I am somewhat paranoid about chain tension. User guide says 1 - 1.5 with bike on centre stand. I;ve got mine arond the 1.5 inch mark at the moment, maybe a little slacker. OK or not?

How thick do people change their brake shoes/pads  etc. ? 

What noises and rattles (if any should I be keeping a keen ear out for (other than the whooshing noise and the neenaa neenaa ones)?

Having been out of the picture for some time, which is the most reliable and legit spares source?

Thanks in advance.

Pete.

Edited by Barbelblanker
Addition to question.

1 hour ago, Barbelblanker said:

Chain tension? Lots of different views on here. I weigh around sixteen stone (give or take a few pound). Having had a chain jump off the sprocket (CB250RS, didn't check often enough), I am somewhat paranoid about chain tension. User guide says 1 - 1.5 with bike on centre stand. I;ve got mine around the 1.5 inch mark at the moment, maybe a little slacker. OK or not?

You'll see when it's needed, but better too loose than too tight

How thick do people change their brake shoes/pads  etc. ? 

You'll hear when it's needed

What noises and rattles (if any should I be keeping a keen ear out for (other than the whooshing noise and the neenaa neenaa ones)?

Flies going splat on your headlight and helmet

Having been out of the picture for some time, which is the most reliable and legit spares source?

Nothing chinese...

Read the common questions link in my sig.

Thanks for that, appreciate the chain comments.