Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tedthebudgie

How long before clutch replacement?

10 posts in this topic

Hello. How long are people getting out of their clutches? 50,000 miles on the original clutch on mine and no problems as yet. Planning a longish trip and wondering whether to spend money on new plates and springs just in case. Cheers.

Hi Tim, mine's still fine, I guess a lot depends on how you ride. Any pics of the bike?

Also, if a previous owner used car oil. My last x11's clutch dissolved by 3k miles because of that!

If you do change it, get a couple of those basket retaining bolts as spares. They are designed to snap, you'll see why when you remove one!

Thanks for the replies. I'll do a visual check on the plates when I change the oil. Always been over serviced with annual oil changes so may still be in good nick but might be worth splashing out the £100 plus on a set of plates and springs for its 50,000 mile / 20th birthday. Not planning to change the basket unless the prongs are really notched. I imagine a basket would be expensive. Cheers.

Banging on about clutches again! Got a bargain on a set of EBC plates; correct reference number on the box. However, all plates are exactly the same when the parts diagram has the inner and outer plates down as different parts (PFKL415907 and PFKL415908). Any words of wisdom?

Is one number for the steel plates and one for the fibre plates ?

Hello. No. The parts diagram lists  6 x steel plates (PLATE CLUTCH PFKL416517); 5 x friction plates (DISK, CLUTCH FRICTION PFKL415907); and, 2 x friction plates (DISK A, CLUTCH FIRCTION PFKL415908). 

Regarding the first post, I don't have experience with high milage, and I'm convinced the dealer was taking the mick when the resolution to clutch noise was replacing the basket at ~10k.

My plates needed replacing due to poor storage, pretty sure I've posted about that elsewhere.  Afterwhich everything was sweet, no noise or drag on neutral.

As for the plates, yours may vary (all my bits were made by angels and world renowned engineers in Mr Honda's top secret lab before being placed in a sandwhich bag and marked up at a completely reasonable price.  My outers had an extremely faint blue highlighter type ink mark on one of the prongs on the outter face.

Thanks Michael. So, apart from the blue marks, were he outer plates obviously any different from the others?

After selling my MZ, decided to splash out on OEM plates (Fowlers a wee bit cheaper than Lings by the way). They're still packaged up at the moment but from what I can see the two outer plates (PFKL415908) look like they are made with a slightly different cork compound compared to the five inner plates (PFKL415907) but that could just be from a different batch of material I suppose. Must say that the OEM plates don't look as beefy as the EBC plates I have stashed, waiting to eBay if all goes well with the change (you will realise I'm a pessimist in the garage...who knows what could happen, might end up accidentally soaking the OEM plates in the raw linseed oil I have stored which is in a very similar container to a quarter full container of semi-synth Motul I plan to use!). Will update when I get around to fitting.