MOB993

Cut out and died.

16 posts in this topic

Bike just died and won't start. Bike felt as it was chugging gaining and losing power the when I pulled in and stopped it died completely. Won't start. The fuel pump will prime but when stater button is hit the starter solenoid clicks but nothing. I've been checking connectors etc any help would be much appreciated

Sounds like the battery has failed or the rectifier or even both.

yes I with Mick on this I think reg /rec died and most likely cooked battery .So don't just replace battery without checking reg/rec

Cheers folks luckily I was only 20mins from home. I'll be taking a look at it again tomorrow

From reading other posts here about checking the rectifier someone mentioned that Led indicators weren't working at idle but only at higher revs which I've had recently. It's looking like rectifier is goosed

hope you can save the battery but if not I use motobatt and find them superb

Cheers for that. What do think of Yuasa batteries? It's available locally.

Regarding getting a new rectifier I've been researching and someone here recommended a Mosfet ref/rec (probably works out less expensive than genuine) instead of a genuine one. Any opinions?

yuasa batteries are very good but there are a lot of fake ones out there but if you trust your supplier you be OK.mosfet reg/rec get good reviews too.ensure it got the correct connectors and you be good to go.

Buying from Halfords so should be real. I might get the Mosfet reg and do it right. The connectors may be differentbut I'll join and solder for a better connection.

Just tested the battery there and was at like 10v with all off, jump started the bike and at idle the battery read 11.8v. The rectifier also got hot very quickly probably normal. The battery reads now 11.59v with all off and won't start by itself. Checked the Haynes manual (Blackbird) and getting battery voltage (11.8v) from red wire to ground on the rectifier at battery voltage and continuity between green and ground.

So my guess battery is unserviceable and rectifier is "ok". Good news only please people! 😊

Actually I'm wrong the battery should be at like 14.4v when running. When I brought on lights battery voltage went down to 9v. So is it alternator or rectifier?

I'd change battery and rec.

Just after putting in a new battery and it fired up no problem but only showed 12.5v between the terminals when running so it's not charging.

How can I check if it's rectifier or alternator?

Edited by MOB993
edit

Follow the process described in 16-6 to 16-8 in the workshop manual.

To update: went to auto electrician and said rectifier was gone. Ordered a new one from Jaws which were extremely helpful and responded very quickly to my questions. I questioned the length of the cable supplied that connects to the alternator/magneto to the rectifier and had been told it was 1m long however the rectifier I received was 30cm long so I had to use the old cable and join using the new plug supplied. It's not the end of the world and if I had the time I would have sent it back but I need the bike for work. Jaws were very helpful and I would highly recommend them.

So back on the road and all good. Thanks everyone for the help

Great news Matt, now go enjoy the good weather.