A13BKD

X11 not starting after long lay-up

24 posts in this topic

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm a rejoining member, who's membership lapsed due, I guess, to non-use because of illness and divorce. Anyway, back up on the straight and narrow now so I want to get my 02 (Yellow) X11 back on the road. I've had 3 X11's over the years and until my illness rode it very regularly - the bike has covered 32k and has been very well maintained throughout it's life.

Due to the nature of my illness, I wasn't able to really prepare it for it's lay-up but it was covered properly and stored in a fairly warm, dry garage.

I've fitted a new battery and checked everything over; the tyres are perfect (I did let some air out and the bike was slightly suspended so there shouldn't be any flat spots).

I also carried out a oil and filter service (OEM filter and Valvoline semi-synth). Everything else checks out - cables were/are all greased, fluids replenished and checked.

So the great start...nothing, not a hint of starting. The starter motor turns over beautifully, all dash lights checkout including HISS. I cannot hear a fuel pump type noise or signs of activity but to be honest, I can't recall hearing it when I was using regularly. So any ideas or thoughts? All help gratefully received.

Thanks and kind regards

Brady

Should also add that I've used new fuel, the pistons seems to be moving freely when rocked in gear. No signs of mouse activity or knackered wiring either.

Regards

Brady

Kill switch position?

have you checked the connects on the ECU and the 10 amp fuses.if all ok take a plug out and check for spark if there is one you may have gummed up injectors(worse case) can you smell petrol in exhaust after trying?

13 hours ago, A13BKD said:

I cannot hear a fuel pump type noise or signs of activity but to be honest, I can't recall hearing it when I was using regularly.

You should hear the fuel pump pressuring up the fuel system, might be the kill switch like Mick says, some "corrosion" maybe. Also pump it self can stuck over the time.

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts.

Kill switch off and checked.

Defo no sound of fuel pump priming...that sounds like the first place I'll now look.

Can these pumps be knocked into freeing up? I bet they're well tucked in which requires a full engine strip :-) :-)

I'll let you know how I get on,

Thanks again,

Brady

The pump is in the fuel tank held on by six nuts so  quite easy to get to. Good luck.

may well be worth checking the connector, get some electrical spray and spray them up, eliminate the simple things first, you can also check the pump unplugged from the bike, also worth checking the relay as well.

Hi..The fuel pump definitely makes a noise when it pressurises the system..only for a couple of seconds, but you should hear it when you turn the ignition on

Try starting using the "recommended" method:

Pull "choke"out half way.

Kill switch to "run"

Clutch lever in and hold it in

Don't touch the throttle!!

Ignition on

Wait ten seconds

Press "start"

Fingers crossed

If the fuel pump is pressurizing but not doing the initial priming, then it could be a problem with the HISS, I personally would check the fuel pump disconnected from the bike, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube, I would also check the relay, it may be stuck, both easy 10 min jobs, if both of those pass then I would start looking the HISS immobilizer or the ECM.  To be honest with you if your not getting the initial priming then I can't see how you would get any pressuring.  Its a very simple system.

Key trandpsonder>Hiss recognizes Transponder>ECM opens relay>power primes pump>ECM closes relay>priming sequence stops. 

So in this order to check.

Fuel pump.

If checks okay

Relay

If checks okay

Then its either the HISS system or ECM.

If you have more than one key try checking the other key.

Edited by HornetJay

Fantastic guys; I can not thank you all enough for your advice and direction. I'm on this tomorrow so I'll update you accordingly...

Regards

Brady

Hope you got sorted, just had a similar problem with mine after longish lay up, started with a misfire up to 3500 revs but fine after that,so changed the plugs,( I had the same problem when I bought the bike and new plugs sorted it then) put everything back carefully, turned the key and all seemed ok, everything working  but engine turning over but not firing, turned ignition off and back on again and noticed the pump not priming so checked fuses and connector blocks All were as clean as when the bike was new so turned on the ignition but it was the same as before.Not being to clever with electrics I could see this costing me a few bob,  Back in garage next morning I decided to check the connectors again, just making sure they were fully pressed together as I knew they were clean, ignition on and heard the pump prime, pressed the starter and she fired on all four. I don't know whether a check  on the wiring would have cured the original misfire but I think it might have. So simple things first before spending cash on parts

Hello everyone,

I'd thought I'd let you know how I got on...

After extensive fiddling, pulling apart connectors, removing an refitting etc I got to the fuel pump.

My god; it's a total and utter mess! Completely gummed up and to be honest how on earth it got to the state it's in is quite beyond me.

I'll post a couple pics eventually. I couldn't find what I thought to be a decent second hand one so went to order one - had to lie down with the shock of the price...£614 for the whole assembly!! Pattern parts are somewhat less expensive I'm delighted to say.

Once again thanks for your help,

Regards

Brady

I'm glad you got it sorted.

I started up my old original X11 the other week with nothing more than a new (cheap!) battery, not been started for about 4 years, old petrol and oil, when I remembered the 'secret' starting procedure it fired up easily. It may have waterproofed the slabs with the oil from the rusted filter though! Bought myself another X11 last week as a treat - not getting on with my Triumph Tiger adventure thing and the X was cheap on that auction site. Now got 2 X11's, one to ride and a project to rebuild as money allows. Also got a Triumph Tiger for sale :P

Good luck with both, I'm sure you'll get them sorted and enjoy.

I will get mine mot'd and probably try to sell it on, not sure of my next choice at this stage.

Regards

Brady

1 hour ago, A13BKD said:

Hello everyone,

My god; it's a total and utter mess! Completely gummed up and to be honest how on earth it got to the state it's in is quite beyond me.

Something like this?

Time to time bumping to these at my work

DSC_0019_zpsphfbicdq.jpg

Good afternoon everyone,

Just to conclude my X11 fuel pump/starting issue...it lives Igor! 

Bit of a relief I should add but I'm really pleased. Once again, many thanks to you all for your help. Off for a ride before the heavens open!

Regards to all,

Brady

Was it a dirty fuel pump then?

Evening,

Well yes but in fact it was totally corroded! Not gummed up as such simply corroded. A real mess.

Regards

Brady

Have exactly the same issue. Wheee did you get the fuel pump in the end?

Hoppy 100 I think A13BKD may have moved off the site but if I was you I would  ask is a blackbird pump interchangeable ?

Looked at Honda spare and OEM are not for sale so I would ask on here for advice to which are the best patterned ones ?

I have heard tourmax are a decent brand in terms of quality.

Also, according to Manuel Amann, the blackbird pumps supply a different pressure?, but if thats the only thing available then I suppose thats the only option.