Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HornetJay

Stator or regulator?

11 posts in this topic

I thought I had a dodgy battery until I bought a new one and discovered it was running down as well so tested the stator and the results were

This seems within tolerance?, should I just replace the regulator or should I replace both?.

yes seems to be ok would replace rec/reg first and use the upgraded one from Jaws .Go on to Jaws website and have a talk with them .wonderful people

I have ordered a  replacement, fingers crossed, 

I bought one of these (red one) to monitor voltage during riding, got little bit worried when new regu burned in a few months some years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3-5-30V-Waterproof-Mini-LED-Battery-level-voltage-monitor-meter-indicator-GZ-/181088398678?hash=item2a29b5ad56:g:E1MAAMXQTghRKfOy

I tested old regulator once it was off the bike, what a pain that was to feed the stator connector, but anyway, was reading on one of the readings.

Not sure if that is within tolerance.

Turns out to be the regulator was the cause, luckily it never took the Stator with it :)

Did you get one off Jaws or elsewhere

I got one off of EBay, wasn't cheap, but wasn't expensive either.         

Well still have charging problem, deeper inspection needed, new battery, new regulator hmmmmm I wonder ;).

Check the regu again, once got one "superextrahyperhighpowerultimate" made in usa, but the box said manufactured in china, it lasted maybe six weeks.

I have two testing units one is a cheap one one is a sealey, for some reason when I test with the cheap one I get nothing from the stator when I use the sealy I get a reading from the stator, I watched some video to see if there was something I was doing wrong, and one tip was to touch the testing probes together before the test and see what you get, sure enough the cheap one registered nothing, the sealey resgistered 0.6,  on the video they said do this to get a true reading, so if that was something to go by then on neither I am now getting nothing from the stator.

I have a mate whose pretty good with electrics coming next week so I am hoping he will confirm my diagnosis.