Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HornetJay

Steering damper.

5 posts in this topic

I have never seen the need for a steering damper until I bought the fireblade and then felt the benefits and how much better it makes the front end stable, so I am thinking of doing this to the X11, what the best way to fit one on the X, personally I can't see how it would work ( fit ).

Hi Jay,

I would like to do the same and have been looking at different options but I think it is the case of  buying the closest fit and doing some alteration. 

In the meantime if you find anything then let me know and vice versa.

Andy  

I don't feel the need for a steering damper on the X, the bike always seems stable. I can sit on motorway or autobahn at 80 mph + fully loaded with luggage apply my throttle lock & remove my hands from the bars, sit there for miles like this, steering the bike with my body weight.

I get bored on long trips so like to play, get strange looks from folk when you pass them doing this.

Why do you feel if makes the front end better ? 

I agree with Wayne, the X must be one of the most stable bikes on the road, I've had my X flat out on a deserted stretch of motorway,  I think there was some kind of a  England football match on and me and a couple of mates had a flat out run along the motorway. At stupid speeds the X is glued to the road, if your bikes require steering dampers there must be something wrong, head bearings, tyres, front and rear wheels out of alignment , front and rear suspension problems. 

I agree the X is very stable, not flighty like the blade. however I do really like the way the front end feels with one fitted, so any suggestions would be great.

On the blade it makes the front feel solid and steering more precise, I had an incident with strong winds last week, even a hyabusa had to slow down and his steering went pear shaped, on the blade with the steering damper fitted it just felt more solid.

As for problems with the bike, mine is pretty spot on.

Edited by HornetJay