AndyH

Rear Sprocket

6 posts in this topic

I am thinking of experimenting with raising the overall gearing a touch

by replacing the rear sprocket with fewer teeth.Anyone already done this and if so

what were the results..43 teeth down to 40 or less.

I am assuming that the revs will be slighlty lower on a top gear cruise

,mpg should also increase a touch too.The bike should easily pull taller gears no

problem ...help appreciated chaps..

A smaller rear sprocket will cause the chain to run closer to the chain runner. Don't know if this causes problems? As Andy says has anyone done this?

When I put the CBR rear wheel in my X the Standard sprocket on the CBR carrier was 40t, the gearing became spot on for speedo etc well Sat nav showing 101mph and bike showing 100mph , I removed 2 links from the chain and there were no problems with the chain running too close to the swing arm. it only makes a few MM difference on diameter of the sprocket.

But believe it or not the MPG was worse on a 1000 mile trip to the German treffen , So I brought a Renthal replacement @ 43t and went back to standard gearing , the difference is approximately 7%, 

Bear in mind tho that Im running a shortened Akropovic full system so my results may not reflect the same results for every one.

Just returned from Belgium, 18t front 43t rear, fuel warning light came on at 170 miles. This combo makes speedo read almost spot on 1 mph fast compared to sat nav( speedo 80 sat nav 79 mph.

Exhaust has Akro headers but with twin silencers,(motad venom)

I get more mpg with original headers + the venom cans.

What kind of revs is the bike pulling at 70 or 80mph with an 18 tooth front Wayne..

Is it quite a bit less then standard or not much difference??

about 500 rpm less