Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HornetJay

Chain slack

7 posts in this topic

I have always been told the best way to set the chain slack is to have the rider sitting on the bike and to adjust it to that, being a lone mechanic I have always set it to the factory specification.

Can someone explain the other way to me, do you set the chain slack to the Honda setting with the rider or is there some other calculation?.

the proper setting in the manual is 1.4 inches, I currently run it at 1.7 inches to allow a little for weight on bike.

I am currently giving the bike is 28,000 mile service.

Also if Andy see's this, when you had the bike did you service the brakes, I was going to do this, but the fluid looks almost brand, so felt it didn't need it.

Another question, setting the clutch lever play, Is there a setting that you should set the clutch play it on the actual lever or do you just keep it at the setting you use and set it there?, as it come with those nice levers you can set it to 1 of 6 settings on clutch and brakes.

Edited by HornetJay

I remember replacing the pads and cleaning and greasing the pistons Jase...But for the life

of me i dont remember if I did the fluid or not...Did I include a service log with the paperwork mate.

If I did do it then it will be written in the there.I do tend to bleed the brakes on all of my bikes though...If

the fluid looks light coloured in the resevoir window and you are happy with their operation

then I would be tempted to leave it alone for a while.

The clutch on my recent purchase was ridiculous...there was absolutely nothing for almost

all of the lever travel then the clutch engaged during the final mm or two of lever travel..

Absolutely no free play at all. I couldnt

adjust this out using just the lever adjustment wheel thingy and had to use the adjuster down by the left hand side of

the motor..its pretty simple a couple of different sized spanners for the locknut .Using this method I now have

about half to three quarters of an inch of free play at the lever.But I also intend fitting some aftermarket levers

like yours so that I can adjust them on the go until I am happy and comfortable with their operation.

I havnt bothered to read the manual on this I feel that its a personal thing.

Cheers Andy since I bought it I have had to replace the fronts and now I am on the back lol.

I will look through the log, I tend to staple my own sheets together and make a proper service record I would be happy to share these with people but not sure how to do it. 

Andy if I adjusting my chain I also have my mate sat on the bike and adjust to book setting or if on my own lean over the bike wth weigth on seat but just got anyone to sit on bike while you adjust it .if lighter that you a little bit more slack.(saw a R1 last week with snapped chain rider said adjusted to book without rider than put himself on bike approx 120kilo.I reckon no slack straining both spockets,shafts and bearing

Some pointers:

- Always little bit extra slack on chain rather than even a little bit too tight.

- Brake fluid might seem clear and good on that reservoir window but if you open it you might see dark shaisse on the bottom of the reservoir, also you might be surprised what comes out from the calibers when you start to change the fluid.

Words of wisdom Henri.

Absolutely..Better a bit too slack than too tight every time.