Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
McFly998

Any magical products for removing old gasket?

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guy's

I've removed the sump from my R1 as the drain plug threads came out with the plug over the weekend.  So I'll be helicoiling. 

Not sure what happened as my hands are the only ones that have removed the sump plug for the past 16 years (apart from the dealer first service), and I've always used a Teng torque wrench to tighten it to the specified torque.

I've cleaned off the old gasket from the sump pan (from the comfort of the sofa) with a blade (and a brew) and managed not to damage the ally (hooray!). 

Before I make a start on the bits of gasket still stuck to the engine side (which is going to be much more awkward), I thought I'd see if anyone has come across anything that might soften up the old gasket and make it a bit easier.  Acetone didn't seem to make any difference.  

I'll give brake cleaner a try tonight, anyone had any results with anything else?  white spirit?  meths?  paraffin?  diesel?  napalm?

Just mechanical work, dont use any seal remover spray etc, they will take away the paint too.

Looks like it's elbow grease then Martyn, have fun.

Oh well that's my evening sorted anyway.  At least it's on the lift so I don't have to crawl around the floor to do it.

When removing any gasket always use something weaker than the metal your scraping it off, a plastic scrapper is the best thing to use, try to avoid screw drivers, razor blade or anything else that will stop the seal being perfect, I am an engine tester and believe me it really can take a slight scratch to mess the seal up.

Its a pain, its labor intensive to do it like this but its worth the effort, the last thing you want to do is to be there trying to rub down the surface with fine sand paper to make the seal work with fingers crossed.

I hope that helps.

I often use a scotch cloth or a pan-scrub with a good few inches of solvol autosol applied. Folded over a bit of wood.