plastic_orange

Tyres

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

Not been on here for quite a while. My X11 has only done a few hundred miles in the last few years (too busy playing with other toys) and I've just given it a full service and it's ready for the road again. However, I'm needing a pair of tyres and am not sure what the current thinking is. It's presently fitted with a bridgestone BT21 on front and a BT23 on rear. I was never really impressed with the BT23 and it didn't really last too well either (no tyres do in truth) at around 4,000 miles.

I'm considered just going for a pair of BT21's again as I've always used bridgestones, but wouldn't mind trying michelins to see if they are better.

Thoughts please,

cheers

Pete

I have used most makes over the years...I fit my own

tyres.I dont think that there are any particularly bad

tyres on the market these days.I have found most makes quite

acceptable..My personal favourites are Avon Storms...but I am

sure that someone will be along whose favourites are Michelins..

What suits one person may be crap to another..

And yes ..I struggle to get much more than 4000 out of a rear too

whatever the make.

Hi Pete, I'm using pilot road 4s and am well impressed with the road holding in the wet as well as the dry. No idea yet as to wear but they are supposed to last well. Time will tell.

Hi Pete glad to see you back , I'm On Bridgestone  T30 , a new sports touring tyre , Quicker warm up and the grip is superb , supposed to be for heavier sports tourers , and (yet to find out) increased millage.

Choices choices, thanks for the input guys.

Pete

Using Conti RoadAttack2, got a pair fitted for 200 quid last year. 2000 miles so far and plenty still left on the rear. No moments with them either, recommended.

Btw guys, are you using those "heavy bike" tires with X-11? Or just normal ones?

I have to change my front, looked it with critical eyes when i took it off for front shock oil change.

Also noticed that steering bearing needs to be changed, maybe that has something to do with front tire strange wear.

I have new rear in the storage, Mez Z8 and i am going to use that when its time to change the rear tire (quite soon i think).

Wish I had the confidence to change the forks oil Henri, what mileage do you reckon it should be done? Are you going to use taper bearings for the head stock?

Oil change is piece of cake, quite simple thing. You dont have to take oil seals or those sliding tubes off to do that.

Basically you can do it with the tubes on the bike.

Mine has something about 60000km`s and i think that this was the first oil change, little bit gray it was.

For sure i am using taper bearings, original ones are ball bearings if i remember right, also if you order those bearings from Honda you will get taper bearings.

I didnt bought them from Honda, got some good quality bearings thou. Just got a message today from the shop that they have arrived. Will get them tomorrow.

Edited by Maintenanceman

Hi Henri I'm running CBR1000rr wheels in My X so I'm using fireblade spec tyres with no problems , I even tour with full Givi luggage on as well , Probably overloaded Givi luggage at that :muttley: !!!

How do you drain the old oil Henri?

Short version:

- Bike on the center stand, jack under the oil pan so you can lift the front up (support it as good as you can, maybe some straps to the garage/shed ceiling etc)

- Loose those bolts from upper "triangle" and loose those upper plugs with 17mm allen key (use some thin rag between plug and key so that you dont leave any marks)

- Take off the front wheel

- Take off those allen key bolts (6mm key) from the opening what comes visible when you take off the front axle, oil starts to drip little bit so you have to have some kind of bucket under the forks

- Open the caps, oil starts to come out better

- Pull out (comes with the cap) inner rod and spring with all its parts, there will be oil coming with it so use some rags to clean it

- Pump out all of the oil from that inner tube to the bucket

- Check out that all oil came out from the lower tube and if there is that aluminium part at the bottom of it, take it away and clean the tube with some cloth and long wire etc

- When you have all of the oil out, install inner tube (with that lower aluminium part) inside, attach the lower bolt and keep the upper plug open

- Put in spec amount of oil and reverse everything else

Hi Henri I'm running CBR1000rr wheels in My X so I'm using fireblade spec tyres with no problems , I even tour with full Givi luggage on as well , Probably overloaded Givi luggage at that :muttley: !!!

Yep, i checked out Michelin homepages, with Honda they recommend that heavy duty tyre for 1300 Pan European, not for example for the BB or our FatBird :)

http://moto.michelin.com/tyres/michelin-pilot-road-4-gt

Edited by Maintenanceman

Nice one Henri, thanks for that.

Sounds straightforward enough.

will have a go at that towards the end of the year. (then if I mess-up I won't have wasted good riding weather.)

Whst about a 190/55/17  rear tyre anybody fitted one

I have 190/50/17 and no problems, friend of mine has 190/55/17 on his BB and no problems. If you have a "hugger" it might be a tight fit.

Hi James , Running a Fireblade rear wheel so using a 190 the rim is 6" wide.