Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyH

Bike Died !!!!

11 posts in this topic

Time 0545...Hooning to work early sunday morning about halfway there,

about 10 miles to go...on the B5500 making good progress about 5000rpm

in top..whatever speed that is,when the bike died and lost all power.

Just engine braking and a brrrrrrrr noise ,I think a red light came on the dash

could have been oil light.Down through the gears,brain going ten to the dozen..

Big walk ahead..where shall I put the bike..have I got my mobile  so that I can ring

the wife..the usual thoughts.

Coasted to a stop..almost immedietly I got a green Hiss light to go with the red one,

I pressed the starter and the bike burst into life.So i set off again,nice and steady this time.

and made it to work.

Possibilities..

1) Recently fitted yet another petrol cap off a Blackbird and have noticed the

return of the sucking /whoshing noise when I open it...tank vacuum again???

2)Filled up at Tesco saturday evening...dodgy fuel??

3)Intermittent Hiss problem...antenna ring or other :huh:

4)Kill switch problem???

5)Some other electrical gremlin???

Whatever ,I have temporarily lost some confidence in the bike..I cant afford to

get stranded early doors..I have a living to earn.

Any suggestions lads?:huh:

I think that the first thing will be to fit the crappy aftermarket fuel cap.

After that who knows.Has anyone eaperienced similar.

Vacuum issue maybe, there should be a breathing hose that allows tank to get air, maybe that hose is clogged or something.

Maybe something to do with fuel cap if yours is not original, there is connection with rubber seal what connects the breath channel to the cap, if the cap is wrong then it wont breath.

I had a tank vacuum problem with the original cap Henri.I have blown down the breather hose

no problem,there are no kinks in the pipe either.I ended up buying a cheapo chinese fuel cap

for about £20.00 of fleabay.Problem solved..no more vacuum or tank breathing problems..The

trouble is the cheap chinese petrol cap is absolutely shite quality.It looks fine,but you have to insert

the supplied key then jiggle it around to get the cap open.The cap then flops closed when you try to insert

the petrol hose.....So I recently purchased another original Honda one but am now back to square one.

I was giving the bike quite a bit of throttle just before it died..I wonder if could have caused some kind

of fuel starvation or lower pressure to the injectors.

It is too much of a coincidence for this to suddenly happen just after making an alteration to the bike,

so as I said I will start off by fitting the cheap crappy replacemt cap and see what happens..

Watch this space.

Maybe some other issue then, cap is just on top of your mind right now. Fuel pump or filter or pressure regu. Had similar thing few years ago, run out of fuel

Aye, I'd check all the connectors and those shitty wires on the ECU plugs.

Thanks chaps.....Thinking about it the bike has briefly stuttered twice the previous week.

Just when turning at a junction..only for an instant I wonder if it could be crap in the fuel

filter??

First job though,I think will be to remove the seat cowel and have a check of the connections

to the black box...After that it will have to be a tank off and investigate further.

Proly see how it goes..a sort of running and using investigation.

Or the wires to your kill switch, stretching as you turn?

Could be lots of things....

Great !!!!

Sounds like a fuel issue to me, but I would check wiring connections, even the battery just to be safe, better go and buy and extra big bottle of electrical cleaner mate and a nice tooth brush if you don't find anything under the tank.

If it was the kill switch I would imagine it would have gone properly try turning the levers as the bike is running over, also spray a load of electrical cleaner onto the kill switch contacts till it run's clear.

did you resolve this issue as i have experianced exactly the same problem