Guest marklintonarnold

Changed oil and bike left out in rain and now has a slight stutter

6 posts in this topic

I changed the oil to castrol power 1 full synthetic and took for a quick spin all was well then took bike out but unfortunately it got wet stood up for a hour and on the way home bike was stuttering slightly around 3-4k. I've left it in garage overnight and been out today and it's sort of still there but not as bad - what could cause this? Cheers peeps

When did the bike last get fueled? If it's been stood over winter the fuel will degrade.

when you said it got wet ,do you mean as in jet wash wet or just rain.I would give the electrics a spray with WD 40 then give it a blast then WD it again (there are other other water dispellant on the market) 

When did the bike last get fueled? If it's been stood over winter the fuel will degrade.[/quote

About a week ago

It was just in the rain I'm thinking more electrics as bike was perfect before I stopped

It is rain related for sure, check out electrical connectors for corrosion, i found some inside headlamp when i was making my headlight change.

Start/stop switch can sometimes act after getting wet, there is also some connectors on the top of the transmission (under the fuel tank).

I had a similar problem last year , My son power foamed my bike for me then rinsed it off with a karcher pressure washer , the result being water in the fuel , the trouble with todays ethanol based fuels you can't see the water in the fuel it gets absorbed by the ethanol so the only thing to do is suck it all out and put fresh in.

The problem was erratic running sometimes down to 2 cylinders.